jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Was Atlantis a real place?

1. lone77star profile image84
    lone77starposted 7 years ago

Was Atlantis a real place?

If 'yes' or 'no,' what makes you think that? What evidence do you have?

2. tinaweha profile image67
    tinawehaposted 7 years ago

Not much evidence, but there was a special on discovery channel or pbs that sounded convincing to this skeptic.  I saw it years ago and I can't remember if the underground remains (looked a bit like an old greek temple) were in the Mediterranean or someplace else.  I want to say...maybe Indian Ocean or Med even though common sense suggests it would have been in the Atlantic.

I give it 50/50 percent that it might have been a huge city that fell into the sea during an earthquake.

3. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 7 years ago

No one knows, but it's a good story.

4. hassann profile image71
    hassannposted 7 years ago

Some say Atlantis was a continent on Atlantic Ocean and it sank. No, we can't have that on earth, it's just to large to disappear.
    But it can be some kind of ancient island city in, say, Mediterranean that blew up in some volcanic disaster or earthquake. As far as I know the only real source of the Atlantis myth is a chapter of a book written by an ancient Greek philosopher. There are many myths about lost civilizations of past golden ages and Atlantis is just one of them.
    So, my answer is: It is possible but it probably did not exist.

5. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

There is no evidence for it.  Herodotus mentions it in his histories and lying beyond the gates of Hercules (the rock of Gibraltar)... so it's a very old story and must have some basis.  The seas were rising long ago (after the ice age) so there may have been an area that was flooded.

We know that the Mediterranean Ocean did not always exist so it may be an area that was flooded when the Mediterranean formed.

Tales of the flood pre-date the Bible in the story of Gilgamesh so the Bible flood story was already very old when the Bible was written and was likely the story of the forming of the Mediterranean which likely occurred as sea levels rose and broke through the area we now call Gibraltar.

working