jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is ELECTRICITY ,on it's way out?

1. Apostle Jack profile image59
    Apostle Jackposted 7 years ago

Is ELECTRICITY ,on it's way out?

According to the INCREASE,...it surely is.SOLAR....shall  REPLACE it.

2. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 7 years ago

I doubt it.   What would replace it. Nut nuclear energy that's for certain. Solar power would be a bad move incase some unforseen thing blocked out the sun somehow.

3. victor3 profile image58
    victor3posted 7 years ago

No electricity can never go out. Solar is a less polluting alternative but you cannot avail this all the places where you are using electricity. It is more costly also. In future there is a chance of solar taking electricity. But you have to wait long

4. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

All energy is converted to electrical energy... i.e.  nuclear, and solar energy, hydro etc. is converted to electricity... that's why they are useful.  If they couldn't produce electricity they would have no value.

Everything you are doing requires electricity these days.  We are making some good advances in new kinds of battery technology lately.

5. profile image0
    vinsanityposted 7 years ago

No, not for a while. Maybe once the coal oil run out but I think that'll be one of the last things that change over due to the amount of things that it Powers.

6. RocketCityWriter profile image82
    RocketCityWriterposted 7 years ago

Not quite, Butch. While all of the other sources of energy CAN be converted to electric current (in a variety of ways), they don't have to be. For example, solar energy can be converted to thermal energy which can heat water, just as in some heated swimming pools. Or that thermal energy can be used to cook things or to heat buildings - things that are mainly done by electric power today.

Having said that, no matter what we do, we'll always need some type of fuel. Energy is not free and we have no perfect converters. Even solar energy requires Hydrogen (which fortunately is the most abundant element known in the Universe). I imagine that we won't stop using electric power for quite some time, but I'd say what will change more quickly is the source from which we generate our electric power as the current Earth-based natural resources dwindle.

I'll throw a guess out there and say that at some point we'll see the harnessing of the massive solar flares that head in our direction or the solar wind. They wreak all kinds of electromagnetic havoc - it seems logical that we could use some of that energy...

working