jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is it immoral or unethical to re-write a portion of history?

1. Alt_Writer21 profile image59
    Alt_Writer21posted 6 years ago

Is it immoral or unethical to re-write a portion of history?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4692478_f260.jpg

2. David R Bradley profile image83
    David R Bradleyposted 6 years ago

Absolutely, positively, freakin-a-right (sub much less appropriate adverb) it is immoral and unethical to re-write ANY portion of history...  except for that one weekend I had in Vegas when I was 23...  Other than that, History exists to teach and inspire.  Hindsight is always 20/20 but if we start changing the way it went down we are dooming ourselves to repeat destructive behavior.  Period!

3. Borsia profile image45
    Borsiaposted 6 years ago

Yes it is immoral and absolutely wrong. History is just that it is the record of what happened and should be kept for all time.
    There is room to fill in history that is wrong if it can be proven through unbiased research. But it should never be bent to the whimsy of revisionists to suit their agenda.
    Consider what we would know about ancient times if religious zealots hadn't destroyed all of the writings they could find. Should apologists be allowed to erase the Holocaust? No. But that doesn't mean that facts shouldn't be challenged and reconciled just because it might anger those who have stated them incorrectly.

4. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 6 years ago

Yes.

5. Alt_Writer21 profile image59
    Alt_Writer21posted 6 years ago

Well I was thinking the same thing as all of you until my Art in Peace and War professor brought something to my attention.  I also still believe history should not be tampered with, but is it possible that history could be obscured? Who writes out history? I mean isn't history written by the victor?

working