jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What effect does growing up with technology have on a child?

1. NJ's Ponderings profile image80
    NJ's Ponderingsposted 6 years ago

What effect does growing up with technology have on a child?

2. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 6 years ago

not  a good one because technology thinks for them.  They do not get the opportunity to utilize their brains to the fullest

3. Jarn profile image74
    Jarnposted 6 years ago

Depends if they accept it passively or take an active part in it. I think technology offers an opportunity for learning and many early achievements, and it is beneficial for a child to be familiar with electronics from an early age so they will be more computer and tech-proficient later in life. The trick is using technology for more than banal entertainment purposes.

4. whaturmissing profile image83
    whaturmissingposted 6 years ago

Technology is a part of the modern life and what's importance is knowing that there is more to life than the technology.  I think that it can be used effectively to education.  As long as there is also quality time with family, friends, nature, books and the 'real' world too.  And as long as it's not used as the replacement babysitter.

5. n.pady profile image56
    n.padyposted 6 years ago

children will grow up with information at their finger tips. technology will keep advancing and will expose the children to a far more level of opportunities and easy accessibility of things

6. Zazuzu profile image81
    Zazuzuposted 6 years ago

from a learning perspective, technology provides a wealth of information available in a variety of mediums for relatively little cost.

It is amazing that you can go on youtube and see a university professor give a lecture or an illustrated explanation of how inflation works all from your local public library. all for free.

7. Victress In All profile image75
    Victress In Allposted 6 years ago

I would expand the question and add: what effect does raising kids in technology age have on parents...I believe, the situation is unavoidable, and the effect is generally negative.  Parents who do not realize the consequences of letting their kids use technology for mere entertainment purposes will suffer, and those parents guiding and directing kids, teaching them to use technology for learning will benefit greatly.  In my house, it is constant battle over choices whether to play WII or study for upcoming SOL test, stopping my first-grader from using calculator for simple subtraction, etc...and I am responsible to check and enforce the right choice.  It takes perseverance!

working