jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Does age dictate the level of wisdom we acquire?

1. PK2010 profile image82
    PK2010posted 6 years ago

Does age dictate the level of wisdom we acquire?

2. DonDWest profile image62
    DonDWestposted 6 years ago

If you've ever stepped foot in a nursing home, you wouldn't be asking this question. . .

3. Sirena Sea profile image58
    Sirena Seaposted 6 years ago

It does seem like you can only reach a certain level of wisdom at a certain age, but being a certain age does not ensure that you will reach a certain level of wisdom.

And, of course, at some point things start going downhill again...

4. Ashantina profile image60
    Ashantinaposted 6 years ago

it is very individual.... based on ones level of awareness........

5. stuff4you profile image65
    stuff4youposted 6 years ago

No, not necessarily. At an individual level I'd say yes, but in comparison to the rest of the new comers that come along, maybe not. (it all depends, as you know) Older people (not to be mistakenly for old people) usually have more memories to talk... read more

6. Melanie Trausch profile image60
    Melanie Trauschposted 6 years ago

I think wisdom is acquired more by one’s experience and awareness than by age, however I do believe that we all undergo some sort of maturation the farther along life’s journey we travel.

7. David Warren profile image81
    David Warrenposted 6 years ago

Age does not "dictate" the level of wisdom we acquire. I can tell you from experience from any point that you look back a decade you should be able to laugh at yourself regarding how little you knew then compared to now.

8. krisingreen profile image60
    krisingreenposted 6 years ago

I don't think so. Age makes you learn alot of different things you've never learned when you were younger but that doesn't mean you're wiser as well.

9. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

Yes and no.  Sorrow is a better indicator of wisdom - for with much knowledge comes much sorrow.  Better is he who is never born than he who was just born.

All is vanity, and chasing after the wind.

Being older just gives you more opportunity to have wisdom, but clearly, Wisdom can't be quantified and labelled  for display in store windows.