jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Can you learn something base in somebody else experience?

1. mariale2003 profile image60
    mariale2003posted 6 years ago

Can you learn something base in somebody else experience?

2. shahid87 profile image58
    shahid87posted 6 years ago

yes for sure. this is a very good way to learn thanxx

3. Taleb80 profile image83
    Taleb80posted 6 years ago

Sure, otherwise I will not answer your question.
    I mean if I didn't experience this, how could I hope that you will get benefit from hubbers' answers.

Anyway, this is the less expensive & shorter way to learn, as our life is so short.
    "I do not have the enough time to do all the mistakes"

4. Jeannieinabottle profile image91
    Jeannieinabottleposted 6 years ago

Yes, you definitely can.  Sometimes a friend or family member will try something and the results are terrible.  I will just add that to my "do not attempt" list.  Or perhaps, based on how they failed, I will try it but go about it a different way.

5. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 6 years ago

Yes.

In business, I always remember that we are to teach people to learn how to fish instead of feeding them with the fish.

This means we can learn from someone's experience and do the right thing. If not, we will simple be doing the wrong thing over and over again.

So, that is one of the reasons why company loves to hire experience consultants to teach their staffs based on their past experiences so that they will not commit the same mistakes.

No need to re-invent the wheel to avoid mistakes with trial and errors when you can tap into other's experiences.

6. Tusitala Tom profile image61
    Tusitala Tomposted 6 years ago

I would say that the majority of our learning comes from the experiences of others.   It might come down second, third, or fourth hand, or even be an ongoing truth handed down over millenia.   We don't necessarily have to experience it ourselves.    But when you say 'base' are you saying something that will significantly change the way we think?

Mostly we don't change, except by actually experiencing.  This is what makes the greatest impact on us.    This is what can,and so often does, change the way we look at life.  Having done it; having been there; having it happen to us.  Experience, that brings about those basic changes.

7. venuss053 profile image60
    venuss053posted 6 years ago

Yes, you can. But it is not a complete learning because the info may be right or wrong. So, one's own experience is one's best teacher.

8. LifeMeansChange profile image59
    LifeMeansChangeposted 6 years ago

I definitely think it's possible to learn something based on someone else's experiences. This takes some of the legwork out of the growing process for us. And it's often a great idea to take someone else's advice.

But I also think that there are times in our lives when we have to learn things for ourselves. I think there are some valuable things that can be learned from experiencing something on our own, even when it doesn't quite work out in our favor. Sometimes growing as a person means learning from your mistakes, not necessarily avoiding mistakes all together!

working