jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What do you think teachers really 'do' during the summer?

1. ElemTeacher profile image60
    ElemTeacherposted 6 years ago

What do you think teachers really 'do' during the summer?

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image93
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 years ago

All of my teacher friends plan curricula and lessons for the school year, attend conmferences, take advantage of Professional Development classes, and some take vacations to places the info/photos of which they present to their classes in lessons. One also tutors elementary schoool kids in the summer, another works as a bar tender, and another works contruction.

3. puddingicecream profile image75
    puddingicecreamposted 6 years ago

Many of them plan for next year, write recommendations for rising seniors, go on vacation or trips, teach at a summer school, wait tables or take up another summer job.

4. capalynn profile image77
    capalynnposted 6 years ago

Plan for the next school year.  Read the books they are teaching again, and again.  Develop more curricula.  Take classes to develop professionally (which is actually required of teachers as part of salary increases and evaluations).

Also, teachers do have hobbies that they like to participate in just like any other professional.  The exception is that unlike other professionals, teachers rarely have time during the ten month school year to engage in these hobbies since their days are spent in the classroom and their evening are spent grading papers and planning.  So, the summertime is the time to do those things, such as tennis, or writing, or traveling.

5. Billie Pagliolo profile image60
    Billie Paglioloposted 5 years ago

I used to score English essays on standardized tests in a quiet room full of other teachers for 8 hours a day during summer vacation.  We sat on folded chairs in a large room for close to minimum wage, but it was amazing to see the writing of students from 4th to 12th grade and be part of the process that would determine if they'd get a 1, 2, 3, or the highest score 4. The essays come in a gazillion boxes stacked up in the front of the room and a project lasted until all the essays from that grade level in that state have been read. Each state had its own criteria for scoring related to content, creativity, usage, spelling, grammar, etc.  The most poignant essays were from little 4th graders who wrote after Hurricane Andrew.  The cutest were on the question of "How Would You Decorate Your Room".  I read a lot about Stone Cold Steve Austin bedspreads and My Little Pony curtains that year!