Should licenses for parenthood be mandatory & thus forcibly implemented as there

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

Should licenses for parenthood be mandatory & thus forcibly implemented as there are far too

many people who DON'T have the emotional, intellectual/educational, mental, financial, &/psychological qualifications to be parents?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12979912_f260.jpg

2. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 8 years ago

Instead of a parenting license, where you could have people discriminated against because of their race or political beliefs, require long term contraception for those on welfare or disability.
    If you need SNAP to feed your family, if you need housing assistance, every woman and teenaged girl in the household must have a Norplant or get a Depo Provera injection every three months. If you get a job and off all welfare or marry a man who supports you, you get the implant out if you want.
    This puts a financial floor on "parenting" without taking away anyone's rights, because if you can't support yourself, you cannot be allowed to have more children the taxpayers have to support.

gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

EXACTLY!  Great answer indeed.  However, there are people not on welfare who obviously shouldn't be parents in the first place.  Many of our societal/socioeconomic problems would be SOLVED if mandatory licenses for parenthood were implemented.

3. Austinstar profile image84
    Austinstarposted 8 years ago

No, but I do think there should be WAY more educational opportunities for parental guidance.
    Free education for people who WANT to be parents should be plentiful and readily available.
    And just the opposite is true. Education for those that do NOT want to be parents should be in every school and news stand.

4. Express10 profile image84
    Express10posted 8 years ago

First off I have to say that I completely agree with this sentiment. You must see or be forced to engage with some of these folks and have genuine concern for their children. But even I would say no because there truly are better ways to accomplish the goal of getting the less & ill prepared to not have children. It all begins in the home but when "home" is subpar as far as parenting is concerned there are many other ways to reach people of all ages who may create children they cannot care for and raise to reach even 70% of their potential.

One way is to show people of all ages the consequences of not getting an education beyond high school, the many and difficult responsibilities of being a parent, make them well acquainted with the less than positive aspects of pregnancy and childbirth, the true costs of each child and raising them through the age of 18 - 21.

As with many things, knowledge is power. If armed with clear details of the negative aspects of becoming a parent while not financially, emotionally, and physically prepared, more people of all ages would choose to wait or avoid parenthood altogether. Heck, a campaign against parenthood not unlike the shocking commercials against cigarettes could actually work to show people the aspects of parenting that many folks gloss over, omit, or refuse to speak of.

On another note, I find it strange and horribly ironic that many of the "bad parents" are indifferent to or actually encourage their offspring to follow in their footsteps to yet another generation's detriment. Ugh!

1. Austinstar profile image84
      Austinstarposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't know the stats, but it seems more and more as if young girls, just walk off and abandon their newborns. In the news today, one girl gave birth in a garage, then left it there to die. She is on trial for murder I believe.

2. Express10 profile image84
      Express10posted 8 years agoin reply to this

If one is going to bear the child, why not give it up for adoption? The case you speak of screams of selfishness & fear by the young parent. Children having children, so sad and so preventable.

3. Austinstar profile image84
      Austinstarposted 8 years agoin reply to this

These young girls do not think about their options, including adoption. And adoptions are hard on children and parents. They are also harder and harder to arrange.

4. Express10 profile image84
      Express10posted 8 years agoin reply to this

You are so right. Another problem is that many given up for adoption will age out of the system ill prepared for the world & some are targets for identity thieves on top of it all.

5. profile image0
    savvydatingposted 8 years ago

No. That reeks of Communist China and Nazi Germany. Some of the best people have come out of poor homes. Even if such a law were implemented, that would only give lawyers more work, which means those wealthy people who fail the "parental test" would sue and win, but they'd still make horrible parents. The whole thing would blow up in our faces.
    A nation cannot control people as if they are cattle. That's just not cool. Rather, education about parenting, for junior high school students and beyond, might very well help to prepare the next generations of parents to be more understanding of their children and of their roles as parents.

gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Good, insightful answer, thanks.

6. bradmasterOCcal profile image51
    bradmasterOCcalposted 8 years ago

I think that grade school teachers need to have a separate license that gives them knowledge of how not to mess the minds of their students.
    As for parents in general, we are alleged to be the most intelligent species, but the sex act can be accomplished by most of the population.

The animal kingdom abides by the survival of the fittest, and that means that the best genes procreate. While humans are humanitarians that pass on bad genes all the time.

Who can decided what good parenting is today? We probably can detect bad parenting, or no parenting, but that is not objective. Licensing needs objectivity, and parenting is subjectively human. The two are like oil and water, they don't mix well.

Bad teachers are licensed to teach, and it takes a miracle to remove them from teaching,even when it is patently obvious they are bad teachers. Teachers are in the public, while parents are mostly private, so how do you benefit the children by invading privacy?

There are 4 social workers being charge with criminal child abuse today in CA. Licensing, it really doesn't work.

7. profile image51
    Norine Williamsposted 7 years ago

Let me tell you a "true" story happening in my family "now!"  My granddaughter was the only grandchild in my geographical setting for a long time!  We sent her to private school until the age of 9 when she entered the public school environment.  She was so advanced, we have to get material above her grade level to maintain her interest in school.  However, upon entering high school she (being a teenager) began rebelling and found no interest in attending school saying it was a waste of time!  She reluctantly continued her education but grades fell as she found interest in 'extra curriculum activities' and became pregnant at the age of 15!

Of course, I'm always the last to find out of problems in the family but am the one who has to 'straighten them out!'  By the time I found out that she was pregnant (although I had an unction), she was in her fifth month. I told her that since she had taken action of a woman, she's going to have to accept responsibility as a woman and enrolled her in GED classes, driving classes, and parenting classes!  Her parental grandmother owns a daycare and she had helped her at the daycare since age 12 which afforded her the opportunity to take care of the child "physically."  However, I believe a child should be a "holistic" person with development in all areas and is why I enrolled her in parenting class which afforded her not only physical but emotional and psychological knowledge of child development.

She graduated from parenting class, passed her driving course, and obtained her GED before passing her college entrance exam in which the administrator of the exam said she did better on the exam than most who were not eight months pregnant.  While there, we found her an apartment across the street from the university.  This was in June 2015 and in July 2015 (after the birth of my GG Baby) my granddaughter entered college in the Fall of 2015 as a Freshman with baby on hip!

She is currently on the Dean's Honor Roll as a Junior in college (after this semester), and continues to remind me of things she's doing that she learned in parenting classes applying them to the rearing of my GG Baby!

The classes were "free!"  Therefore, why not?  My family has benefited from such a program and my GG Baby is smart as a whip!  She's only 1 but can (sing) spell her name, sing the alphabet song, and is learning how to identify both numbers and alphabets! 

I'm PROUD of both of them! My GG Baby was a blessing in disguise!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)