Which reading/ mathematics schemes have you used, or have you worked out your ow

1. sharnas profile image57
    sharnasposted 6 years ago

Which reading/ mathematics schemes have you used, or have you worked out your own?

I am waitnig for replays from teachers.

2. Paul Kuehn profile image94
    Paul Kuehnposted 6 years ago

In teaching reading, I first get my students to start activating their background knowledge about the topic they are reading.  This can be done by looking at photos related to the reading or discussing the key words in the title of the reading.  Next, I tell my students to try to grasp the main idea of the article, and also to identify the major "who", "what", "where", and "when".  After this is done, I lead the students in connecting all words related to the "whos", "whats", etc. Then the students are urged to make some educated guesses as to the "hows" and "whys" in the article.

3. MazioCreate profile image72
    MazioCreateposted 6 years ago

I rely heavily on my own resources to assit students develop their skills in literacy and numeracy.  When working with children aged 5 - 12, I had to use the schemes that were within the school and a couple were very holistic and suited most of the students' learning goals.  I also supplemented the text books with activities that I designed, to address topics and strategies specific to the class I was teaching.

However, since working with youth and adults, I have found virtually no resources on the market that use a contextualised format to developing literacy and numeracy concepts and skills. I have had great success with the resources I develop and market and students have progressed from my class to mainstream courses.  There are other elements / strategies to consider when implementing the resources when working with this target group.  Good luck with whatever resources you are using.

working