jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

I have a legal question about a misdemeanor charge?

  1. ii3rittles profile image82
    ii3rittlesposted 6 years ago

    I have a legal question about a misdemeanor charge?

    Almost 5 years ago, My fiance had a moving job with his buddy. They were driving thru Michigan and got pulled over. The cop smelled weed & decided to search the truck. They found a very small amount of weed on my fiance & took him in. The cop said pay us $100 and you can leave. He did, then he left, never hearing anything about it again... Until he lost his license 2 weeks ago and had to get a new id. They wouldn't let him & said he had a bench warrant in MI. He just wants to pay it & move on but they wont allow it. He has to drive there. If he does, he will lose his job. I need some advice!

  2. ii3rittles profile image82
    ii3rittlesposted 6 years ago

    ALSO :: he tried contacted the county and the judge and they both said he can't plea by mail, he has to appear their. I don't understand how they can let this go for 5 years and not tell him. We are in the middle of looking at places to move and going to be getting married soon. We have no money to afford a lawyer and he can't miss work or he will lose his job. We are both upset and Have no clue what to do.

  3. NathanielZhu profile image71
    NathanielZhuposted 6 years ago

    The legal system of the U.S is so corrupt and unorganized.
    I'm not sure what you should do, but in this economy, if you lose your job, you'll lose everything.
    Have you tried explaining to the judge the situation?

    If all else fails, try getting the help of the public through your local TV station lol. If he paid the 100 dollars especially FIVE years ago, there's no reason why he should be punished twice AND lose his job over something so tiny. If you explain this to the public, I'm sure they'll help. Just a thought......

  4. R.S. Hutchinson profile image81
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 6 years ago

    I think this might work for you...if he HAS to be there to pay it or whatever.. see if YOU (or someone you trust) can go in his stead with a power of attourney. A POA, I believe, would allow you to go and pay the fine etc and sign for him.

  5. Jonesy0311 profile image61
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

    Best advice: when a cop stops you say nothing more than, "With all do respect officer I refuse to speak to you without a lawyer." If he asks to search the vehicle (which means he doesn't have a warrant) just say NO. Now, that advice is too little too late. It looks like now his only chance is to drive there and take care of his warrant. I'm honestly kind of suprised that the DMV knew about his warrant in another state. I suppose the only thing to do is explain to the boss what's up and get it all sorted out.

    But really, what I would do is only drive a vehicle if I'm heading to work and not say anything to anyone. Sure, they'll get you eventually, but it's not like he's a fugitive. Blue-collar people don't have the luxury to bother with this kind of crap.