jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How Can We Enjoy Life

1. legitimo profile image46
    legitimoposted 6 years ago

How Can We Enjoy Life

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5359794_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Nancy Swindellposted 6 years ago

Life is enjoyed when you seize the moment.  This is no dress rehearsal, no time for shoulda, woulda, coulda...

3. Jen Pearson profile image71
    Jen Pearsonposted 6 years ago

Patricia, I checked out your profile and saw that you've been dealing with adjustments, sounds like for years, around physical disability. I haven't been through what you've been through and haven't made it to permanent disability. However, I had a run-in with Lyme disease, which pretty much put me on my back for two years. I had very little energy and normal things were challenges. No more hiking (walking to the mailbox was a challenge), which had been a great source of enjoyment for me. I'd been working on a novel and that had to be scrapped because I didn't have the brainpower. Luckily, I enjoyed reading, though at times even that was a strain. I seriously thought about taking up knitting or some other activity that only required eyes and small movements. This is all to say, I understand the challenge of continuing to enjoy life when the usual things that give us joy or solace are no longer possible.

In my case, I would think about the essence of something. With hiking, I enjoyed being outdoors, so simple trips to parks or outdoor festivals (renaissance festivals being good ones) was my solution. I appreciated the beauty around me (lived in the country) and kept a record of animal sightings. I couldn't afford to own an animal but agreed to host some animals for a rescue organization and the organization provided supplies. I started with kittens but they were to rambunctious. Instead, I became the host of mothers who had just been spayed went until they were ready for adoption. To come up with these things, I had to reject moping and engage ingenuity. If part of one's disability includes depression, it may be helpful to ask a friend to brainstorm with you about how to keep some of the things you used to love in your life even in a little way or how to find new things that keep life fun and make it seem worthwhile.

Another key, for everyone, is not to over-obligate yourself so you have time to do the things you know give you pleasure.

4. legitimo profile image46
    legitimoposted 6 years ago

oooo.k.Jen Pearson to say the least that is not all I have been through,If you only knew,But, Thanks for the advice. hubpages is fixing it for me very well I am still filled with joy regardless of my situation.

5. NathanielZhu profile image72
    NathanielZhuposted 6 years ago

See everything in a different way. A child is interested in everything because everything is new. It is this interest that makes people happy.

6. calpol25 profile image70
    calpol25posted 6 years ago

Plenty Of Vallium, and Coffee Oh and a good amount of alcohol may be an option, well it helps me enjoy my life lol lol lol lol

Only kidding I find that my memories or achievements are what help me enjoy my life, the knowledge that I have put a smile on some ones face where tears would have been, I think its being of use and helping someone that really makes me enjoy my life even more.

working