jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How does the United States College system work?

1. ArtAsLife profile image59
    ArtAsLifeposted 6 years ago

How does the United States College system work?

Im a high School Graduate with no idea of how the College system works, I would like to major in Psychology, or Philosophy, if possible get a degree in both at the same time. I hear there is Prerequisites everyone has to take for any position. What im asking for is where I get started? What is the time frame for degree's? as well as any other tips anyone has for me.

2. Man from Modesto profile image83
    Man from Modestoposted 6 years ago

If you have a junior college system in your state, you can very likely enroll immediately. In California, I have enrolled at four different JC's. Each required only a few pages for an application. Next, you want to determine to which 4-year campus you will transfer.

Here is the gold: academic advisors are idiots. I have studied at several different campuses (lifetime learner). There are usually just one or two advisors who actually know what they are talking about. Here is how you find them:

Walk into the counseling office and take whatever appointment they give. In the appointment book, look to see who is highly requested and start there (this rule works for haircuts, too). Ask the most difficult question you can muster. Ask a question like, "I am an engineering transfer. I want to take research writing, and I believe this course can transfer as both an essay course and a science elective. Can I do that? I need it in writing, and I need you to show me where it is justified in the university system literature."

The weak advisors, who just want a government paycheck, will choke. They will immediately refer you to the strong advisor, the one who cares about the job and the students. The weak advisor will say something, like, "Oh, we better ask Betty." You are listening for this name. The answer is secondary to receiving Betty's name. For the rest of your time, you will visit Betty and check everything you want to do.

3. ArtAsLife profile image59
    ArtAsLifeposted 6 years ago

Thank you man from modesto, So i should just walk into the school and meet with an advisor?
    and theyll lead the way? do all schools have that?

4. ktrapp profile image96
    ktrappposted 6 years ago

I think the best idea is to start at a community college. You should get a copy of their catalog and maybe look at online catalogs for 4-year colleges that you may be interested in and look at the general education requirements. These are usually classes like English Composition, Speech, Social Sciences (i.e. intro to Psychology), Humanities (i.e. intro to Philosophy), Science and Math. After you apply to a community college you should sign up to take a few of the general education courses that will then transfer to a 4-year college. If you think you might be interested in Psychology and Philosophy then try to take some classes in those subjects that are also general education requirements.

The time frame just depends on your situation. If you are a full time student then you can finish in 4 years. If you take classes during summer sessions as well, then you can finish in less time. Bachelor's degrees usually require at least 120 credit hours and typical classes are 3 credit hours, therefore if you take 15 credit hours per semester for 6 semesters then you would finish in 4 years.

I have written a few hubs with some college tips. Here is the link for one on ways to reduce the cost: http://ktrapp.hubpages.com/hub/Save-On-College . I have also written a hub on how to get textbooks for less and also one on how to earn college credit while you are still in high school. Good luck to you.

working