jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Linguistic difference between father and son - any German input would be very we

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image100
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 6 years ago

Linguistic difference between father and son - any German input would be very welcome!!!

Strange question but becoming frustrating. smile I acknowledge that my Dad has lived in Germany for nearly thirty years but he still insists that Germans do not pronounce the letter "W" and instead say "V". I have lived in Germany and never once heard anything to bear out his assertions. Germans pronounce the letter "W" as Brits and Americans do - unless they're only making me feel at home!! smile

Any native Germans on HP help me out???

Thanks!!!

2. Rochelle Frank profile image96
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

A German  will pronounce Volkswagen  "Folksvagen" BMW is "Bey-Em-Vey"
    Wiesbaden is "Viesbaden"  Wunderbar (wonderful) is  pronounced Vunderbar.
    My husband's family is German and I would say your dad is right.

3. vox vocis profile image85
    vox vocisposted 6 years ago

Listen to your father, son smile "W" in German is in fact "V" :

- BMW is pronounced "BAY-EM-VAY" (everything Rochelle wrote is correct)
    - LKW (truck) is prononuced  "ELL-KA-VAY"
    - WENN (if, whenever) is pronounced "VEN"

Also, "V" is pronounced "FOW."
    - VATER (father) is pronounced "FATER"
    - VIER (four) is pronounced "FIER"
    - and my Italian last name beginning with "V" is pronounced with "FOW" and it's annoying!

Believe me on this one; I'm not a native German, but I live in Germany, speak 5 languages, and hold a degree in linguistics smile

It's nice that Germans make you feel at home smile

And hey, I just remebered, Germans learn English gladly and when they speak English, then of course, they do proununce "W" as the Brits and Americans do (but not in their own language).

You have to tell your Dad I'm on his side LOL

4. Clive Donegal profile image78
    Clive Donegalposted 5 years ago

Yikes, my father and I disagreed about issues such as when I had to be home or whether I could get a new car. If your father has lived in Germany for 30 years, I'd yield to him on matters of how something is pronounced there. Unless you live there too.
    I say, When in ROme....

working