Do you know anyone who has a degree from one of the mass-marketed "Online Univer

1. thebeast02 profile image85
    thebeast02posted 6 years ago

Do you know anyone who has a degree from one of the mass-marketed "Online Universities" & done well?

I feel like most of the universities are scams trying to prey on people who can't go back to school full time. I could be absolutely wrong as I have never attended one, and am about to graduate from a traditional school. I'd like to here about some real life experiences some of you may have, firsthand or from someone you know closely.

2. profile image0
    AnnaStephensposted 6 years ago

Hi, I've nearly completed a BA (Hons) Literature with the Open University. It's a part-time 'distance learning' degree, although we have monthly face-to-face tutorials and online tutorials and forums and the tutor is only ever a phone call away.

I've loved every minute of my degree, have been doing it part-time whilst working, which means I'll graduate with no debt, and am on target for a 2:1. Not bad when I've got a full-time job and a partner, house and writing career (including on here) as well. My degree will also have cost me less than one year at a full-time 'traditional' university.

A lot of 'brick universities' disparage the Open University, but a LOT of employers love employees who have educated themselves this way. It proves they can multi-task, for a start, and aren't afraid of hard work and commitment to continue such a busy life for so long - because my degree is part-time, it takes six years instead of three. So employers see the amount of dedication that goes into it and are impressed.

I also wouldn't class the OU as 'mass-marketed', so perhaps I'm not the best person to answer your question, but I am passionate about my University and about people appreciating that we work just as hard, if not harder, as those attending 'brick universities'.

Anna

3. thebeast02 profile image85
    thebeast02posted 6 years ago

The school you are attending is not really the ones I was talking about. The "mass-marketed" was key. Schools like the University of Phoenix are what really came to mind when I was writing the question. They advertise heavily, on T.V. and online.

I am glad to see that you have found one that works for you though. I would imagine that the UK is going to be a bit different than those in the US, however. From what I understand about these schools, you never meet face to face. You literally go you entire college career without ever meeting anyone from the school. I had a friend of a friend who was doing it, but she didn't finish. This is what made me curious as to if anyone has completed the program and been successful because of the degree. (Did they get a job that requires a degree, not just any job.)

working