jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Should the parents of home schooled children be required to have some formal edu

1. xethonxq profile image64
    xethonxqposted 6 years ago

Should the parents of home schooled children be required to have some formal education?

Is a high school diploma sufficient to educate a child?

2. Man from Modesto profile image85
    Man from Modestoposted 6 years ago

I have met several school teachers in my time. I have looked at the exam required to become a school teacher. The requirements are very minimal.

Most of the home school parents I meet are intelligent. They have right priorities.

There should be no requirements to home school your own children.

There should be a test, however, at certain junctures, like the end of the first three years, and then every three years thereafter.

The state is not going to institute those exams for two primary reasons:
    1. School is really a system of "socialization", that is, thought control.
    2. The home schoolers would vastly outperform the public school.

3. Abhaque Supanjang profile image79
    Abhaque Supanjangposted 6 years ago

It is better yes; because if they do not have any experiences at having gone to formal education, they will have no aim to have their children at the home schooled  one. To my opinion, home schooled education system is not good for children, they will have no opportunity to socialize with others; they will never learn how to understand other people, especially the ones whose ages are the same to them. They will live in their own superiority, they will think they are the most or ......est ones among others; they won't know how to tolerate others.

4. kschimmel profile image45
    kschimmelposted 6 years ago

Studies have shown no real relationship between student achievement and level of homeschool teacher education.  Teachers without state certification do just as well with their kids as do certified teachers.  Real homeschoolers are highly motivated and succeed in spite of (or perhaps because of) their lack of "education" course work.

Certainly there are some deadbeats who claim to be homeschooling while actually hiding criminal activity, but there are liars and criminals in most any realm of human activity.

5. travelschooling profile image81
    travelschoolingposted 5 years ago

It's a difficult one. They most certainly do not require a teaching degree, that is only applicable in a classroom environment. I have a  science degree and generally a good level of education, I find it VERY useful in my homeschooling. My interests are also useful, I love to travel and I have a good store of knowledge about the world.  But no, I don't think higher education is necessarily a requirement, lifelong learning is more important and the drive that is found in most parents, to ensure their children have the best possible outcome. In my experience, homeschooling parents can quickly become experts in any field that their children wish to pursue.