jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is math a eternal concept of truth?

1. ptosis profile image75
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

Is math a eternal concept of truth?

No matter when or where in the universe? (Or is anything divided by zero in a black hole definable?)

2. TheMagician profile image91
    TheMagicianposted 6 years ago

I don't know about it being an eternal concept of truth, but I do know it'll forever be an eternal pain in my ass!

3. wilderness profile image97
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

I would say that math is the eternal truth, anywhere and "anywhen".

Having said that, though, it is also quite possible to use the language of math to produce a very convincing lie. 

In addition to that, we don't know the language well enough (or physical characteristics it is trying to describe) to always use it.  The concepts of infinity or black holes illustrates this as neither is truly describable by any math we know of.  This problem can also be seen in Zeno's Paradoxes - the use of "infinitesimals" he was trying to discredit went on to become the precursor to modern calculus, which very neatly explains his paradoxes.

4. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 6 years ago

I would say yes, but I would substitute the word "truth" for "fact". Math is the only instrument of philosophy that can still exist in parallel universes where our laws of physics might be different. Properties of constants and variables would be different, but the mathematical process would be the same I think.

5. Ironman1992 profile image61
    Ironman1992posted 6 years ago

I'm horrible at math. That said, I do believe math is an eternal concept, a way for us to make understanding of physical concepts.

6. math-worksheets profile image61
    math-worksheetsposted 6 years ago

Math is direct truth of everything in universe! Logic, science and innovativity all in one! It's easy to understand if you like to think about it.