jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Where did we get math from?

1. securityproducts3 profile image40
    securityproducts3posted 5 years ago

Where did we get math from?

2. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 5 years ago

I'm not sure whether you mean the word or the concept of maths.
    Maths is the short form of the word 'mathmatics', I dont know where the word 'math' without the 's' came from.
    I would imagine that the concept of mathmatics came with early mankind when they needed to measure and use all the useful things about maths in a rudimentary way, and it developed from there.

1. tussin profile image59
      tussinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

In the US, "mathematics" is abbreviated as "math" without the s.

3. NJ's Ponderings profile image80
    NJ's Ponderingsposted 5 years ago

Math came from the human's ability to thinking logically, solve problems, and through trail and error. Imagine the caveman using fire and needing to locate it in a specific area for ventilation and warmth or clothing that is needed to cover an individual. Both require speculation, trial and error, and mathematical calculations. While it was in the crudest form of mathematics, it was still mathematics. Hence, I believe it's innate.

4. ankigarg.8719 profile image60
    ankigarg.8719posted 5 years ago

We get math ffom our ancestors and scientists.As they discovered it

5. tussin profile image59
    tussinposted 5 years ago

Human mathematical knowledge evolved little by little, gradually building up complex ideas from simpler ideas. The most rudimentary concept was the set of counting numbers 1, 2, 3... From there people came to understand the concept of fractions.  Then the concept of 0 was developed, then negative numbers, and on and on.  Basically, math comes from us, both as invention and discovery.

working