jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What do you think when someone says, "Does that make sense to you?"

1. Lenzy profile image78
    Lenzyposted 6 years ago

What do you think  when someone says, "Does that make sense to you?"

In Texas, this question seems to punctuate lectures on a regular basis. Three feelings tend to go through my mind when this question is asked. 1. Do you really care? 2. Do you think I'm an idiot? 3. If I really didn't understand what you just said, do you think I would own up to it in front of the whole class with a question like that? Does that make sense to you?

2. ktrapp profile image98
    ktrappposted 6 years ago

It sounds to me like the lecturer is not confident in what he/she just said. It also comes across as a bit condescending. And if the lecturer does it regularly it is simply annoying.

3. beadreamer247 profile image71
    beadreamer247posted 6 years ago

Well, I feel like screaming! It sounds like the one who just was talking to you is the "Pro" and indirectly pushes his opinion on you and does not even allow you to think on your own and to have your own opinion. - It feels a bit snobbish at the same time and arrogant. I prefer to ignore it when someone finishes of with that question. If someone uses this phrase regularly it also sounds very meaningless and annoying.

4. Millionaire Tips profile image92
    Millionaire Tipsposted 6 years ago

There are speakers who recommend stopping and asking, "Does that make sense to you?"  It is a way to get a break from talking while you collect your thoughts, but I think the primary purpose is to get a feel for how much the listener is absorbing while keeping them focused on your topic, and not go off on tangents.  This way, you can continue with your thoughts after they have had a chance to talk.

Personally, I find it condescending as well.

working