Why are there so many rude responses to Hubs in the Religion and Philosophy topi

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (31 posts)
  1. noturningback profile image59
    noturningbackposted 12 years ago

Why are there so many rude responses to Hubs in the Religion and Philosophy topics?

When we disagree, must we be rude and condescending?

2. Quirinus profile image61
    Quirinusposted 12 years ago

Nice question, noturningback.  Thanks
    Normally, I would go into my judgmental mode and say that those posters are just being themselves, having fun being rude.
    But something gives me time to pause and say, rude people are only being rude because that's the best way they know of, how to respond.  It may be a coping mechanism for a very difficult life experience.  Thus, in a deeper sense, we should reach out with more compassion to these people.  Of course, easier said than done.

3. YvetteParker profile image60
    YvetteParkerposted 12 years ago

I think it has a lot to do with people being very passionate about their beliefs and views as it relates to religion and philosophy. That's okay.

When people are rude; pray for them, don't take it personal. None of us have been granted a license to be rude and condescending.

Believers, especially, should not be rude and condescending to nonbelievers. Just follow Jesus' example when he was confronted by His critics. He simply responded with the Word of God. Basically, He was letting them know that their issues were not against Him, because He was simply fulfilling the will and work of His Father who had sent Him.

So maybe we can all learn a lesson here about how we respond to others who have different beliefs and ideologies of religion and philosophy. The real issues are not against the persons.

4. whonunuwho profile image55
    whonunuwhoposted 12 years ago

A rude answer is indicative that the person has a bad experience in the subject or that they are awfully unhappy in their life and wish to pass on their disgust and possibly guilt, because they have not been satisfied in choosing religion and having faith to stick with it. At times it may just be a case of intellectualism or denial in a thing that they really don't want to face. The way in which a child is brought up and given a chance to enjoy all that a life spent in a Sunday school class and church provides for their future stability, can help insure in most cases that as grown ups, they feel strong in a faith that even grows as they get older. The more hostility they show, the bigger their life problems may be.We all still have the human right to choose if we shall follow our Lord, or simply not to accept any belief at all.People may strongly defend a faith that conflicts with another often times.

5. ntmarketing profile image60
    ntmarketingposted 12 years ago

I feel that some individuals have no compassion or respect for others religious ideologies especially if they are not religious themselves.  But it is usually all speculation and perception that starts these rude comments.

6. CloudExplorer profile image77
    CloudExplorerposted 12 years ago

To many people aren't open minded, may feel offended by some one, or have preconceived notions of feeling that their belief is the only one of relevance. Many people have no manners as well, wasn't trained in the arts of good old fashioned, respectful communications.

7. CHyNCHyN profile image60
    CHyNCHyNposted 12 years ago

when religions are discussed, it becomes a fight. the problem i believe is that religion is a worship of one god. no one can proof their god is the true one and the debate goes endless and turn mindless.
    buddha said the cause of debate is due to ignorance.

1. NiaLee profile image60
      NiaLeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

thanx for bringing wisdom in this conversation .I used to wonder why my husband remained quiet so often :peace within himself and respect of others' opinion . African proverb: debate brings argument that brings fight which  brings hatred. Be still .

8. Michele Travis profile image66
    Michele Travisposted 12 years ago

My answer is only to the part of the question that states " When we disagree, must we be rude and condescending?"  Even though I am a Christian, and have noticed a large number of people being rude, and even more to Christians.  I have also noticed simply a huge growth of rudeness in general.  When I was growing up, my parents told me to say Sir, Or Ma'am to every grown up.  To respect adults. To not swear, even though I had heard others swear.  They taught me how I was supposed to act.  How to say grace before we ate.  Not to laugh at other children at school.  Things like that.  Now, if you even turn on the television, people are talking behind other peoples backs,  they swear at each other.  No one is treated with any respect.  I think our whole country is leaving respect behind.  That is just what I am thinking is happening to respect.

9. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 12 years ago

Because religion and philosophy are touchy subjects. People are protective of their beliefs. If you poke the bear, they with claw and bite back.

10. MickeySr profile image78
    MickeySrposted 12 years ago

I think often the belligerent approach that many practice comes directly from what they count to be the real distinction of ideas . . . with many ideas, like what foods you like, favorite movies, etc, the assumptions is that everyone legitimately has their own opinion - but with religion, the assumption starts with the basic notion of smart or stupid. Many simply start-out thinking that they believe what they believe because they're simply smarter than those who believe differently . . . they think the reason they believe what they believe is because they're smart enough to believe it and those who see things differently see things differently because they're just not as smart.

Many simply think "they're too stupid to believe the 'truth' that I'm smart enough to believe" . . . their religious belief (or, disbelief) stars-out as a matter of smart or stupid. The things is, when they evidence that they're willing to be unkind and rude to people they count to be stupid, they are in fact demonstrating just the kind of arrogance that suggests they very likely don't know what they're talking about . . . arrogance is no good place to start when considering objective truth.

11. Rev. Akins profile image71
    Rev. Akinsposted 12 years ago

Most people hold religion very dearly in their hearts. The worst thing you can do is tell them to "rethink" their Jesus or Religion.
    Or, there are some people out there (and for some reason they really like the religion forums) that are on a personal vendetta to prove God does not exist. I would love to say these are the only rude people, but I find there are just as many people who quote the Bible and call themselves Christian that answer in a rude and condescending way.
    I have to agree with several of the answers here, we have lost the art of debate. We no longer discuss in an intelligent and open minded way, but almost as a no-holds barred cage match where only one person can come out alive. They attack before they can be attacked. It is sad. Some day we may bring back the old form of debate and conversation, but for now, the rude comments will ever be present.

1. ALL4JESUS profile image73
      ALL4JESUSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Returning the art of the debate is one of the highest causes we can achieve here on HubPages. Leading with dignity and respect for all.

I have had wonderful debate with some of my visitors who are agnostic and atheist. I was surprised and delighted.

12. profile image0
    MP50posted 12 years ago

Lack of communication skills, lack of respect for other people, no manner's, no politness, no skill at all in constructive conversation or dabate, probably dragged up instead of brought up.

13. Peter Leeper profile image60
    Peter Leeperposted 12 years ago

I think it is because those that are strong believers get angry at those who doubt and those who aren't very strong beleivers or doubters get angry when religion is pushed upon them far too much.

An example of the latter would be how I feel when Rick Santorum says the idea of separation of church and state make him sick but at the same time wants everyone to beleive the way he does...I can't reconcile this and it makes me angry because it is like saying one religion, or no religion, is better than the rest and our whole melting pot country should be governed under one of them...  We have separation of church and state so we don't end up like countries who don't separate like Syria, Iran, etc etc...

well that is my two cents..  smile

14. Darrell Roberts profile image72
    Darrell Robertsposted 12 years ago

If the question challenges a core belief then people may get sensitive.  Religion is something that is so ingrained in many people, it is hard for them to imagine a world that is different.  Religion gives people a sense of purpose and security, to up set their norm with challenging views just make some people uncomfortable.

Remember religion is not just about this world it deals with the eternal soul.

Hope that helps

15. RavenBiker profile image59
    RavenBikerposted 12 years ago

Religion stops a thinking brain.  Can't debate, learn from and understand a dead brain.

Faith, however, is personal and enhances the brain.  Faith is the nature of learninng.

People who are rude and say the worst things are usually the people who have replaced faith with religion. 

A strong mind has faith.  A weak one has religion.

Faith is compassion.  Religion is dogma.

How else can I skin this cat to answer this question?   The combinations are endless.

1. Catherine Kane profile image82
      Catherine Kaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'd say that you can have both faith and religion and still be respectful and courteous.
      Indeed, a  lot of the more polite people I know do.
      The problem is that the folks who are rude and aggressive in service to their religion are a lot more visible

2. RavenBiker profile image59
      RavenBikerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry Catherine.  I make a clear distiction between Faith and Religion and I do believe it is a fair one.

16. DoubleScorpion profile image78
    DoubleScorpionposted 12 years ago

Being close-minded and unwilling to accept another's view point if it is different than yours. And typically speaking, when one feels on the defensive and don't have a way to defend their position, they resort to "name calling" or other forms of " un-educated" (broad use of the term) debate tactics...

17. Civil War Bob profile image60
    Civil War Bobposted 12 years ago

I think rude people lack confidence in what they believe, so can't take any challenge graciously.  Folks who have responded mention we should respond as Jesus did... I agree, but would point out that He was gentle with the hurting and 'got in the face' of the self-righteous religious types.  When I played lacrosse in college, one rule was 'equal pressure' against the attack man...if  he charged, you could hammer him.  If he was tentative, you had to use 'equal pressure' as a defender.  Good question, noturningback.

18. glmclendon profile image60
    glmclendonposted 12 years ago

I think this comes from people that see a mirror of themselves and don't like what they see. They would rather talk ugly about you and I then face the fact there is something wrong with their life style.
    People don't want to talk about going to Heaven or Hell. Would you want that conversation if you did not have your business in order?

Stay Well

19. MarleneB profile image90
    MarleneBposted 12 years ago

I have noticed that the religion and philosophy forums are the most heated forums on HubPages. Our religion and the way we feel about a subject is "who we are" and some people just can't handle it when other people disagree with them. Some people just don't know how to communicate well in writing and I think it just comes out sounding rude. Other people... well... they are just rude people and I think they enjoy antagonizing other people. I think they get some kind of adrenaline rush from it. There are people like that in the world. What are we going to do? I have learned to just not take it personally. They don't know me and they don't know where I live. Right?

20. Lady Wordsmith profile image75
    Lady Wordsmithposted 11 years ago

It's quite a sad thing, because I enjoy discussing religion and my beliefs with others who have different beliefs and experiences.  But even when you're having a lovely discussion with someone who believes something different to you, someone else will butt in and start inflaming the situation by being rude and disrespectful.  For that reason I no longer look at the Religion and Philosophy forums.

People very often don't think before they post, and they say the first thing that pops into their head - this doesn't happen as often in 'real life', from what I can tell.  People believe so very strongly and desperately, that when they can see that they're not going to convince someone they resort to aggression and personal insults. 

However, I do think that sometimes people from all sides of whatever argument can be guilty of posting provocative questions, knowing full well that they are about to start a very heated debate because they've insulted one particular group in their question.  Erm, I think we call those people trolls?

I try to be as respectful as possible when I'm discussing my beliefs - but when someone attacks me, I'm guilty of retaliation sometimes.  Although I can honestly say that I've never gone out of my way to intentionally insult someone.  Sometimes people are insulted purely by my beliefs though, even if I present them respectfully.

21. profile image0
    mcals71posted 11 years ago

I agree that there is no need to be rude or condescending. People who act that way are simply insecure, otherwise they would be open to debate, or at the very least they would politely agree to disagree. At the root of insecurity is plain, old fear, and rude people aren't willing to entertain, even to themselves, the possibility that they are afraid and feel threatened by other people's beliefs; they prefer to assign that same fault to others by being the first to assume a defensive or aggressive posture, often accusing others of the very thing from which they suffer. We notice the same kind of behavior also in bullies. As far as I'm concerned, it's all about deeply rooted, personal insecurity.

22. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

The rational, over-focused left brain (which is where most thinking and writing comes from) is naturally critical. At best, it offers debate. At worst, it offers what Deborah Tannen calls The Argument Culture.

Learning to listen with an open mind and respond from the heart to those we disagree with requires meditation and prayer, not just thinking and writing.

23. profile image0
    whowasposted 11 years ago

I think that the rudeness in religion debates can come from all and any quarters. It isn't that believers are all sweetness and light and atheists are all angry and spiteful, or the other way around. The rudeness is the responsibility of the individual, regardless of what they do or don't believe.

At the same time, we must all try and understand that when we are discussing matters of religion or alternatives to religion, then we are discussing matters of profound and fundamental personal importance to those concerned, on both sides of the debate. Feelings can run very high. All the more reason in my view, to tread carefully and be polite. On the other hand no one should feel so intimidated by the possibility of causing offense as to allow themselves to be oppressed in the proper expression of their thought. We have worked long and hard for freedom of speech and should value it highly.

I'm an Atheist and have a strong interest in evolutionary biology. This view leads me to acknowledge my kinship with all life on the planet. So I see everyone as being quite literally, my relatives; my brothers and sisters on the tree of life, so to speak. In that regard I have a responsibility of respect towards all living things, my religious sisters and brothers no less than others. I am always at pains to point out that I argue with ideas, not with the people that hold them.

Unfortunately, in the same way that a very few (but very vociferous) Atheists prejudge all religious people as inherently stupid and dangerous, so there are quite a number of religious people who enter the debate with the preformed assumption that the non-religious person is an agent of Satan and cannot be trusted. Clearly, when these two meet, it bodes ill for any kind of intelligent conversation to ensue!

However, I do think, given the huge impact that religious belief of any kind has on all our lives, it cannot be set apart as somehow above debate. It is of course, inherently difficult to engage in a rational debate with someone who believes their ideas, however lacking in evidence or originality, are of Divine origin and above all criticism from the outset. I think a lot of Atheists find that very arrogant and frustrating, as you might imagine. Equally, an Atheist who has adopted non-belief as a dogma (which is an oddly irrational thing to do) is wearing pretty much the same colors.

It is not an easy business, whichever way you look at it.

1. noturningback profile image59
      noturningbackposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you whowas, I believe you have given the most thoughtful answer to this question.

24. NiaLee profile image60
    NiaLeeposted 11 years ago

no respect and tolerance should always be part of debate sadly we have been invaded by people who disrespect and harass . I tooke some time to relax because t attacks became so far fetched and crazy thathat my inspiration couldn't be shared here . Religion is very emotional it defines some completely so they see enemies and destruction everywhere . sad .

25. tussin profile image58
    tussinposted 11 years ago

How come there are so many religious and philosophical questions to my rude answers?

26. wordsbymonica profile image61
    wordsbymonicaposted 11 years ago

In my opinion, rudeness seems to be the norm in society.  It's cool to be a bully.  Too often people in "servant" positions or occupations are treated with disrespect instead of gratitude.  Psychologically, to put someone else down makes one feel superior -- for the moment.  Our technology isolates us and erodes our social and interpersonal skills.  The ethics of our leaders is questionable.  Our social networks and airwaves are filled with put downs, verbal sparring and shouting. 

A bully is a bully is a bully.  If you run into one, flag him or her.  It's up to the reviewers of the site to keep this a useful site for constructive users.  Just as you would praise a useful comment or blog, the flag serves as an alert.  If you don't speak, the insult continues.

It is up to every one of us to bear responsibility -- for our actions and our words.  Our tone of voice and our body posture, which give our words action and visibility, are also our responsibility.  A door gently shut carries a stronger message than one violently slammed, as someone wiser than I once said.  So here on the Hub, one by one, we can make a difference with informed opinions, gently offered.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)