jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

The truth about Americans?

1. RKHenry profile image78
    RKHenryposted 5 years ago

The truth about Americans?

What are some misconceptions people have about Americans?

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image99
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago

Probably that we're all fat, stupid, bloodthirsty nazis that hate Arabs and everyone else in poor nations.

None of that's true, but due to our foreign policy of warmongering and spreading disease via Monsanto, it's easy to see why Arabs call us "the great Satan."

3. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

That we're all the same somehow.  There are SO many generalizations about Americans.  I would have to say the number one issue to me is that we are not all religious! The way our politics are going it would be hard to believe, but it seems once again the loud and vocal minority seem to be trying to impose their will on the vast majority of others.

4. MojoDawg profile image60
    MojoDawgposted 5 years ago

We are not all haters and even the Christians like myself do not love war or hate Arabs, this is a generalization that is fed by disbelieving Americans and others. I believe from whatever side of the fence we are on there is some truth and a lot of falsity in the image we hold. We have been arrogant to an extent and let the world pass us by in terms of free enterprise and now suffer from a huge imbalance of exported goods. Who is lambasting the Arabs or Chinese and others for this? It would seem no-one.

Our friends in France took nuclear technology we perfected and have created a robust infrastructure of power sources while we let our programs lay in waste for 20 plus years as we argued over the ramifications of using it, the same happened with our oil refineries, we have shipped our oil overseas for refining for years. I believe America is guilty as charged; but for a different offense, that would be giving the farm away through excessive bickering among ourselves. The world will never see us any differently until we see ourselves for what we are, and where we are.

Should have done a hub on this; for what it's worth that is "my take on our image"'

5. kj force profile image72
    kj forceposted 5 years ago

When you visit other countries, you realize we take many things for granted here in America. Our work ethics are different here from other countries..and we are not always portrayed in the best light. We have taken things for granted in this country for years and suddenly people are asking " what happened ?" how did we get this way..Some Americans are crude and rude when they visit , or respectful,
    it only takes one bad apple to rot the basket.,we are also a wasteful society. What kind of impression or conclusion would you get ? America has somehow lost the respect of other countries, on one hand we loan money to other countries and then cry poor.. I would have to say we send mixed messages..so misconceptions surround us...

working