jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How do you get a younger sibling to study?

1. RayChawla profile image60
    RayChawlaposted 6 years ago

How do you get a younger sibling to study?

My younger brother doesn't really do much when he gets home from school. He sits around, eats, plays sports, games, but doesn't want to study. Help?

2. cloverleaffarm profile image65
    cloverleaffarmposted 6 years ago

Are you the babysitter? I would set the rules, and if he doesn't follow them, then there has to be a consequence for his action...just like in real life. If he continues to do this, I would ask for someone to help you, an aunt, uncle or someone he looks up to.

3. the Teaching Doc profile image70
    the Teaching Docposted 6 years ago

Wow!  There can be so many reasons.  This does not make him abnormal.  I only occasionally wanted to study in high school.  In my first attempt at college I went from dean's list to #%^@ list and basically flunked out.  I quit studying.  All I can say from my own experiences is that I did not want to study.  I am not sure I have yet accurately self-psycho-diagnosed.

In my opinion, assuming that a student does not have a mental or psychological condition, or a learning disability, all the other causes can be lumped together under the category of motivation.  There can be a lack of positive motivation for those who do not see intrinsic value in learning.  There can be negative motivation for those who fear failure - it is better to have not studied and flunked than to have studied and failed.

One way to switch your brother’s situation around is for your brother to find a mentor he likes and trusts, someone who can help him find his own motivation.  Seldom will this person be a close relative.  However, when is the last time you heard about a student seeking out a mentor?  The mentor can be a teacher who sees his potential, who relates to him, who truly cares about him, and who wants to spend time mentoring him.  Perhaps there is someone who fits the bill.

Good luck!

4. dmop profile image76
    dmopposted 6 years ago

Making study fun would be a good start, it can be difficult, but it can be done. I just seen a commercial about playing hide and seek letters. The game consists of hiding cards with letters on them, close to items that start with that letter, and then finding them, the one with the most cards wins. I would maybe add that the letter and item must be identified to count for ones a bit older. Of course this is for young toddlers, but there are many ways to make learning fun, for every age group. I bought my son an electronics study station and he loves it, I kind of like it too, because it lets us build circuits that make radio transmitters and many others. I hope this helps at least a little, good luck.

5. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

It isn't your call, so stop worrying about your brother and let your parents do the parenting.  If it really is a concern talk to them and see that they think.

6. Faceless39 profile image94
    Faceless39posted 6 years ago

Just wait until he gets a McJob; that'll do the trick and he'll want nothing more than to study and get a degree.

7. rLcasaLme profile image73
    rLcasaLmeposted 6 years ago

then be a living example for inspiration.