jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why is it called a "figment of your imagination?". I'm just very curious. What

1. BakerRambles profile image86
    BakerRamblesposted 6 years ago

Why is it called a "figment of your imagination?". I'm just very curious.  What is the imagination?

2. rebeccamealey profile image85
    rebeccamealeyposted 6 years ago

To me imagination is taking one concept and turning it into something new. For a quick exercise in imagination just draw a circle. Turn it into something by doodling. You may even come up with a story. Or poem.

3. BeccaWood profile image74
    BeccaWoodposted 6 years ago

Imagination is the sight of your mind, not your eyes. Ex: When someone pictures a little brick house with a white fence in the clearing of a field. Of course the house really isn't there, but your imagination is what puts that happy picture in your head.

4. alancaster149 profile image85
    alancaster149posted 6 years ago

Starting from the point of 'figment' being an invention of the mind, you've landed in what some call 'Cloud Cuckoo Land' if your invention is too fantastic for those of us of a conservative persuasion. Anybody who comes up with an idea that most find upsets their 'equilibrium' lives in Cloud Cuckoo Land. You can take the 'figment of your imagination' sort of reasoning to mean anything between 'get your head seen to' and 'you're dreaming'.
    You could take it as a compliment if it doesn't outright rile you to distraction because nobody can understand what it is you're trying to put across. And you're in good company.
    'I think we're being followed', said in the middle of the Gobi Desert would be answered by 'It's a figment of your imagination'. Anyone might think you're under the influence, delirious.
    'I think we're being followed', said on top of a Manhattan skyscraper would definitely get the same answer. Those of us with imagination would look up into the air. There could be a chopper up there, with somebody watching and taking pictures from a distance. That's when it gets into the realms of 'persecution complex'. When both of you look up, that means there's trouble!