jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is sign language universal?

1. WretchedRapture profile image72
    WretchedRaptureposted 6 years ago

Is sign language universal?

Meaning, is sign language that is taught to disabled persons here in America the same as the sign language that would be taught disabled persons in China, Japan, Etc. Sorry if this seems like an ignorant question, but I'm generally interested. I have a fellow student in my calculus course who is deaf and has an interpreter who aides him in the front of the class, and I was wondering this to myself just the other day.

2. Insane Mundane profile image61
    Insane Mundaneposted 6 years ago

I have two answers to this:  Going by what I have read online, sign language is a more universal form of communication than verbal language, but it is not universal in itself. Sign language can differ greatly between cultures...
    In my opinion, true caveman-type sign language is very universal, as there would be very little misunderstanding there...

3. kschimmel profile image48
    kschimmelposted 6 years ago

No, the signed languages are different just as spoken languages are different. American Sign Language, for example, is used in the U.S. and in English-speaking Canada.  Australian Deaf use AUSLAN and the British have their own sign language.

Signed lanuguages have their own grammar and syntax, like spoken languages.

4. Levertis Steele profile image83
    Levertis Steeleposted 6 years ago

Sign language varies from country to country, although they have some things in common. A few are very similar. Sign language in this country is called American Sign Language (ASL).

working