What type of medicinal creams etc... are for rabbits eyes ?

1. profile image49
    mandyksmithposted 6 years ago

What type of medicinal creams etc... are for rabbits eyes ?

my baby rabbits are only three & a half wks old, but one of them had trouble opening it's eye, so I gently bathed it with slightly warm salted water and got it to open, but it seems a little sore, I have read  that you can give them a certain cream or lotion but I can't remember what it was, please help ?

2. Daughter Of Maat profile image97
    Daughter Of Maatposted 6 years ago

A rabbit's eye is almost identical to ours with exception of their retina (most eye drops are tested on rabbits first), they have the ability to see better in dim light than we do because they have different photoreceptors and more of them. I would recommend using an artificial tear. Some salt may have gotten in the eye and dried it out causing irritation. Rinsing with a plain saline solution or an artificial tear would help clear out any residual salt and provide relief from the irritation. I wouldn't recommend using anything else simply because the bunny is only 3 1/2 weeks old. It's immune system is still adjusting and anything other than tears may cause him to have eye problems later on in life. If you do need to use something like an ointment, try refresh PM, it will stay in  the eye longer and provide more relief and it won't get absorbed systemicaly.

working