jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What do most Christians really believe?

1. Matt Stan profile image60
    Matt Stanposted 6 years ago

What do most Christians really believe?

I know what Christians believe. But the reason I ask this question is becasue Christians that I know don't do anything to affirm their faith. They might tell of their faith or even wear a shirt that reads "Jesus!" but this accomplishes nothing. I think that a real Christian, who for example believes in hell, would be spending every ounce of their enrgy to save the  un-saved. Do they really believe?

2. mackyi profile image63
    mackyiposted 6 years ago

The Christians that I happened to know all believe in God. Although I agree that most of us (who call ourselves Christians and believe that Christ died for us), should try to do more, for example: reaching out to more people, getting more involved in our communities etc, you should bear in mind that no matter what you do, many people will not accept the word of God!

3. Caries Mission profile image60
    Caries Missionposted 5 years ago

There are many people who claim to be Christians but then show no sign of their love of God. If you are a true Christian, you will love everyone like Jesus loved everyone. You would have faith and live your life in that faith. You would treat people the way Jesus treated people.

4. DavidLWilliams profile image54
    DavidLWilliamsposted 5 years ago

Great questions, Matt.  Enjoyed reading your post.

Do they really believe?  Christians, like anyone, are, I think, afraid.  Afraid of being alone.  Of failing, or being considered a failure.  Of not being respected by thier peers.  Of losing a job.  Fill in the blank.

They want to be loved.  To have time with friends.  To have happy children.  To be secure with their spouse.  To have time for self.

Then someone says they need help.  They just lost a job, or had a child arrested, or a spouse pack their bags.

To love that person risks nothing but reputation, and costs nothing but time.  The thing we fear most and the thing we want most. 

Jesus said that if one seeks his own life he will lose it, but if he/she loses it he will find it.  "Trust me", he says, "and love others.  And you will lose nothing and gain everything."

No one, not Billy Graham, not Mother Theresa and not me can follow this all the time, or maybe even most of the time.  But if you do not see this in a person, yes, I think you have a right to ask the question: Do they really believe?