jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (18 posts)

Are many Christians really just Pagans? Pope Francis thinks so.

1. cjhunsinger profile image73
    cjhunsingerposted 3 years ago

Are many Christians really just Pagans? Pope Francis thinks so.

Since Christianity is, essentially, a pagan belief, it is about time that the Catholic Church began to recognize that fact.
    Not all those who claim to be Christians really are, said Pope Francis Friday morning. Some are Christians “in name only,” he said. “They bear the name of Christians but live a life of pagans.”

The Pope had some test questions that one could ask himself, that could reveal the Paganized Christian.
    “How much worldliness is in me? How much paganism?”
    “Do I like to brag? Do I like money?
    "Where are my roots, and where is my citizenship? In heaven or on earth?”

2. Mega Galatic profile image60
    Mega Galaticposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/11963904_f260.jpg

I don't believe religion matters anymore. Its how you treat others and how you behave that determines your happiness and success in life. I know a lot of people who go to church every Sunday and quote the Bible on facebook but treat people horrible, have bad relationships and sometimes bad mental health. Whats even crazier the Church still participates in pagan activities like collecting tithes although tithes were banned in the Old Testament. There are so many religions across the world and it seems as though Christianity is the "newest". The Catholic Church makes a lot of money via tithes and I am sure the Pope will not be denouncing any of its politics to detour the congregation from its religion.

cjhunsingerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Mega--I believe you are right, but then in my 70+ years that is pretty much how it has always been. I would like to think otherwise. Religion, for most, is like a stick of chewing gum, the flavor is quickly lost.

2. Mega Galatic profile image60
      Mega Galaticposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I just wrote my first hub. I joined hubpages recently. Would you mind reading my post and commenting. Its actually related to this topic.

3. cjhunsinger profile image73

Mega
      What is the title and under what topic? Thanks for the fan mail.

4. fit2day profile image79
      fit2dayposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Christianity isn't the new, Christ was before the foundations of the world, the pope and the Catholic church don't exactly represent Christ, so let's seperate the 2. As for the people you speak of, Satan goes to church every Sunday and hates God.

5. Lady Guinevere profile image60
      Lady Guinevereposted 3 years agoin reply to this

fit2day  That isn't exactly how Jesus puts it in that Bible.

6. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

AMEN to you sister, couldn't have stated your point better myself.  Organized religion on its face is so hypocritical on its premise.

7. cjhunsinger profile image73

fit2---Which church does the Satan go to and have you seen her? I saw her in a bar a couple of times. I thought Jesus was born 2000 years ago.

8. Mega Galatic profile image60
  3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 3 years ago

In Heaven. Our time on earth is short. Our time in Heaven is eternal.

1. Mega Galatic profile image60
    2. JessicaSideways profile image82
      JessicaSidewaysposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Prove it.

4. bethperry profile image91
    bethperryposted 3 years ago

As a devout Pagan, my opinion is that Christianity is NOT comparable to true Pagan religions in the least. The very fact that some Christians automatically attribute "sinful" natures to Paganism -materialism, boastfulness, money-loving, blah, blah, blah- attests to the fact they know very little about us, and more importantly, do not want to know us.

beth--Your version of Paganism is referred to as neopaganisn and really has nothing to do with it's roots. Religion in ancient Greece, Ancient Roman religion, Hellenistic religion and Roman imperial cult were considered Pagan are those roots. of m

2. bethperry profile image91
      bethperryposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I am afraid you're wrong, cjhunsinger. My bio. father was a pagan, his father was a pagan and their forefathers were all pagans as well. But to be fair, that is Norse paganism as opposed to the variety the early Christians were familiar with.

3. cjhunsinger profile image73

beth--Then your criticism has no merit.

4. Michaela Osiecki profile image79
      Michaela Osieckiposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I think it has merit. Every pagan culture on earth back in the day was different. The only commonality between them was a preference for belief in more than one god. The Greek and Roman nations were not the only societies considered pagan.

working