What advice would you give to college students who struggle with math?

1. davenmidtown profile image89
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

What advice would you give to college students who struggle with math?

2. amurbach profile image85
    amurbachposted 6 years ago

I would buddy up with someone who is naturally good at it or take advantage of campus resources such as tutoring. YouTube can also be a valuable resource if you learn better using objective methods. My oldest daughter struggles with math and I find that I have to instruct to her using a method where I visually demonstrate a probleem until she gets it.  Understanding how you learn best may save you much frustration.

3. brandim619 profile image60
    brandim619posted 5 years ago

I think because many college math classes are so large, the teachers put students into groups to start out. If not, I feel like finding others students in the class that understand is the best way to learn.  Like amurbach said, buddying up can make a world of difference. The other student will probably be happy to help, because a lot of times, teaching is the best way to work through problems and learn yourself. If you can explain it to someone else well enough that they understand, you surely understand. 
    On a different note, have your daughter ask the teacher for extra practice problems. Or if they teacher assigns odds for example, have her do the evens as well. And even though the homework may not be turned in, practice make perfect, and will definitely help improve on a letter grade. Hope this helps!