jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What should be done to improve the math profeciency of students?

1. jpcmc profile image89
    jpcmcposted 6 years ago

What should be done to improve the math profeciency of students?

2. darrensurrey profile image75
    darrensurreyposted 6 years ago

Maths is one of those subjects that is as much a skill as it is knowledge. So you need to practice it. Additionally, if one of the basic skills is weak then moving to harder topics will just put the student off. That old adage "learn to walk before you run" really applies here.

3. Paul Kuehn profile image94
    Paul Kuehnposted 6 years ago

I think kids have to understand the basic concepts and theory of what they are doing if they are ever going to get proficient in math.  And after they get a feeling for the concept or theory, they have to practice solving many problems to show that they understand the concept.  I never really could understand the theory of limits, so I never really got very proficient in calculus and differential equations.

4. mepperly profile image69
    mepperlyposted 6 years ago

Let the teachers teach their way. The government has tied their hands and they can only teach a certain math a certain way. I use methods I was taught by my teachers and they make sense. My daughters are bringing home formulas that make no sense and that is what the teachers have to teach them. So sad.

5. Vellur profile image90
    Vellurposted 6 years ago

Foundation of all concepts and calculations in Maths is very important. This should be incorporated in the early stages. Maths should have many related activities and the entire class should be involved in the learning process. Students should be made to practice math sums. More the practice, better the understanding. They can be given free access to math websites to learn and practice math. I feel memorising multiplication tables is a must. Students should understand MAths is Fun, if studied everyday.

6. lotuslove19 profile image69
    lotuslove19posted 6 years ago

Maths is fun,that what we have to make our children understand ,do not leave children alone in the beginning, be part of their fun and make them learn tables , formulae  and practice as many sums as possible (both you and your child) ,if you get involve with your child ,he will surely be outstanding one day and unbeatable too. This is my experience with my children and students,that I have shared.