jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)

Can we really conceive of what infinity means?

1. whonunuwho profile image78
    whonunuwhoposted 6 years ago

Can we really conceive of what infinity means?

If we could put ourselves out of the human realm and mind and beyond our understanding that there is an end time for all, can we conceive of infinity, or understand it?

2. profile image0
    ctbrown7posted 6 years ago

I'm not sure how it would be possible for a finite mind to comprehend something infinite.  Not possible.

1. profile image53
      wayne92587posted 3 years agoin reply to this

It can not, an Infinite object not being readily apparent, not being measurable as to momentum and location in Space-Time.

3. dmop profile image76
    dmopposted 6 years ago

As temporal beings I don't think we can fully comprehend infinity. We are so burdened by time and the constraints that it places on our activities. I think we can have a good idea of infinity if we really contemplate it for some time, but a complete understanding of its implications is not likely.

4. profile image0
    erickcbposted 6 years ago

Sort of. Once you go deep enough into your mind you can KINDA get a grasp. But not in its entirety. It is too overwhelming. I get the idea that most people never truly think about what it means to live forever and why they would want to. (Most religious folk) I sure don't want too.

1. profile image53

Immortality is meant for the Species of Mankind, not the Individual.

5. profile image53
    wayne92587posted 6 years ago

Take Eight Mirrors of equal size forming a Octagon with the reflective side inward.

Place a mark on one of the mirrors.

Viewing the spot on the mirror from just the right angle and you will see an infinite number of spots on a single mirror, at least as far as possible and beyond.

1. profile image53

As an Example of Infinite means, the multiple number of  Marks on a single Mirror are Infinite because other than the original mark, none is readily apparent, measurable as location and momentum is in Space-Time.

6. Electro-Denizen profile image81
    Electro-Denizenposted 6 years ago

Intellectually, no. The intellect forms concepts of observed phenomenon, so conceiving something infinite with finite tools, doesn't work.

However, there is a way... and perhaps a few people have glimpsed this, and so have a conception of infinity, but it is an experience rather than a thought-concept.

The general notion is that we are beings of consciousness, but we are entirely convinced that our consciousness originates in the head, behind the eyes somewhere. This is a fundamental fallacy, and drives our current highly materialistic analysis of existence.

Under extremely close observation, through meditation, experience shows that consciousness actually originates from the heart, in its fullness. In a sense, consciousness 'in the head' is a dimmed reflection and version of the real thing, which is also why the intellect is a reflective tool, and not the real thing. It can only approximate things (and get very clever with it, such as developing calculus!)

The consciousness that pervades creation is in essence the very same consciousness that animates all beings, rather like the hub of a wheel, with all the spokes radiating outward.

Hence, residing inside that consciousness, is also an experience of infinite radius.  There are texts in traditions such as Zazen (i.e. zen)  that treat clearly the different steps, and how various aspects of ego drop off in the process.  It's a well trodden path.

So from that perspective, it's possible to really conceive what infinity means, even if the 'usual' mind doesn't get it.

Wow, did I get esoteric there!

1. profile image53

Electo-Denizen I do not know if your post was in reference to mine.
      If your mystic mirror were Highly Polished and without Blemish would you not believe what you see to be a material Reality?

7. junkseller profile image85
    junksellerposted 6 years ago

To me, infinity is, by definition, always that which is just beyond your grasp, no matter how far our grasp goes. So, no.

8. Eugene Hardy profile image59
    Eugene Hardyposted 6 years ago

I think humanity can, but at great cost(?)

For the individual, it would require giving up the perception that our minds are limited to the finite, and that we would have to give up the idea that there is more profit in the material.

To truly understand infinity would we have to give up certain aspects of being human, which sounds costly.

But would it be worth our while as an individual and as a species?

working