jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What triggers yawning?

1. Simone Smith profile image94
    Simone Smithposted 6 years ago

What triggers yawning?

There's a theory running around my office that I yawn every time a certain person talks. Could this person's tone of voice, or some other characteristic, be causing me to involuntarily yawn for some reason?

2. whonunuwho profile image78
    whonunuwhoposted 6 years ago

Some researchers say it is the body's need for more oxygen and some say it is triggered by others, as a reactionary response. How many times have you yawned immediately after another family member or friend has just yawned? Is this just coincidental or was their a need for more oxygen experienced by the group? At times yawns are psychological responses to an event or specific antagonistic element present. There are so many bodily responses and thank goodness passing gas is usually a consciously motivated action and not always an accident!

3. Stephanie Henkel profile image96
    Stephanie Henkelposted 6 years ago

Have you wondered what triggers yawning, or why you have to yawn when you see someone else yawn? Check out this article for interesting facts about yawning. read more

4. DIYmyOmy profile image74
    DIYmyOmyposted 6 years ago

Lack of oxygen is the easy answer, which is why we yawn when tired or when waking up.

However, as whonunuwho noted (say that fast five times!), yawning is also notoriously 'contagious.'

A personal take on this question: Four years ago I adopted a wonderful little Bichon/terrier rescue dog named Bungee. Every morning, he wakes up at sunrise, and he wakes up instantly. This often results in him developing hiccups, the spasms of which are caused by a lack of oxygen due to his very abrupt transition from fast asleep to wide awake.

I find that if I direct an exaggerated yawn at him, he will start yawning as well, and the hiccups will stop.