jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Should I go right to graduate school or gain work experience first?

1. MrAungst profile image60
    MrAungstposted 5 years ago

Should I go right to graduate school or gain work experience first?

I am currently studying Health Communication and Management at the undergraduate level at Juniata College. I would like to either get into Health Administration or Public Health. Do you recommend going to grad school right from college (I have the grades to do it) or going into the work force for a year or two to gain experience first?

2. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Well, which do you think is best for you? Would you feel more comfortable with work experience? Or do you want to learn some more before going to work? Or you could have a part-time job and still be a student. Anything is an option.

3. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

Personally, I would say that if you have an opportunity to work to go for it. That would give you a good reference, some cash in your pocket, and should give you a clearer focus on what you want to accomplish with your education. You might also find an employer that you can continue working for while getting your education and get some tuition reimbursement from them. With tuition rates as high as they are (and rising) that can make a big difference.

4. Maria Price profile image56
    Maria Priceposted 5 years ago

In my opinion, if you get a chance, get some work experience prior to going to graduate school. You'll get a feel of the real-world experience, which can help you with your graduate program. You'll grasp things faster and know how to apply them in real life, not to mention the added advantage of being in a financially better-off position to pay for your graduate school. I was going through California College San Diego reviews – they are pretty good and indicate that the college offers an MS in healthcare administration. Why don’t you check it out, it could turn out to be just what you're looking for!
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index … 317AAca1Z7