jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do you think public schools should charge for assemblies occurring during school

1. breathe2travel profile image81
    breathe2travelposted 5 years ago

Do you think public schools should charge for assemblies occurring during school hours?

My daughter's middles school charges $2 for pep rally admission, and $2 for talent show or play admission -- during school hours.  Do you think this is fair?  Or do you think it should be open to entire student body, no cost - for students without conduct challenges, of course.

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image93
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 5 years ago

No, not fair, and I think it is nickel and dime-ing people "to death." If schools cannot stay open without this mercenary action, then perhaps buildings should combine and vacant properties be sold, as in my city. Our Mayor is great at streamlining such as this - how about yours, Everyone?

3. larcaustin46 profile image86
    larcaustin46posted 5 years ago

Does the admission price go to the organization sponsoring the assembly, or directly to the school for operational costs?  Either way, charging students during school hours is unfair, and possibly stigmatizes students who cannot afford to attend.  Pep rallies are supposed to encourage school spirit--it's hard to do that when only the kids with money are allowed to attend.

4. Anthony Reber profile image37
    Anthony Reberposted 5 years ago

no school already suck so why should you have to pay to get out of class

5. Ramkeyviswa profile image75
    Ramkeyviswaposted 5 years ago

No not necessary. What is the need of charging school authorities? I can't understand.

6. SarahandSophia profile image60
    SarahandSophiaposted 5 years ago

Absolutely not. Not fair. With the amount we all pay for school taxes and the amounts we shell out for fundraisers, etc... kids should be able to attend these functions without paying more. When I was in junior high and high school we did not have to pay to attend these things but attendance was required...so not sure I see how this is valid.

7. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 5 years ago

This is not right. If the event is optional or a luxury, it shouldn't be during school hours. If it is after school and optional, such as a football game or play, it is fine to charge admission.
    These kids should be in class learning, not generating income for a school that mismanages both parents' time and money.