What is the "Stand your ground law"?

1. Khal Blogo profile image60
    Khal Blogoposted 6 years ago

What is the "Stand your ground law"?

I'm not an american, so I don't know what it's about. If there are any specific terms, please explain them.

2. DowntroddenInDC profile image85
    DowntroddenInDCposted 6 years ago

Google the "Castle Doctrine". It varies state by state, but basically allows for an individual to defend their home (and sometimes other property) with equal force to a trespasser. That means if someone invades your home, and is threatening you, you can use necessary force to protect yourself and property.

In my state, Texas, you have to yell 'stop' or 'leave' or something along those lines before firing. The invader also has to continue to approach you after you warn them and there needs to be a reasonable assumption that you felt in danger. You're going to get in quite a lot of trouble shooting someone in the back, even if it is on your property. Or if it's a child or someone who is not threatening to you. (e.g. you're a 280lb 6'6" guy and a 80lb girl with no weapon approaches you, it would be unreasonable to think you were lethally threatened and should use deadly force - like a gun).

Hope that helps!

P.S. I am by no way an attorney, so please don't use this as legal advice.

3. ArtzGirl profile image79
    ArtzGirlposted 6 years ago

Check out the wikipedia link and the others in this google search:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c … mp;bih=912

working