What Is Attorney Client Privilege?

1. PhoenixV profile image74
    PhoenixVposted 5 years ago

What Is Attorney Client Privilege?

What exactly is Attorney Client Privilege? Are there any exemptions to this rule? Are all U.S. States the same in that regard? Do only certain types of attorneys count in that regard?

2. Cherrietgee profile image78
    Cherrietgeeposted 5 years ago

I'm no attorney, but I believe that attorney-client privilege is something of a confidetiality agreement between an attorney and his/her client. In other words, if I am your attorney and you confide in me that you have committed a heinous crime, regardless of what you have done, I can not share than information with anyone, not law enforcement, not my father, not the family of the people you wronged. Because I am your attorney, what you shared with me stays between you and me unless you share it with someone else.

3. Amy Becherer profile image73
    Amy Bechererposted 5 years ago

The choice of an attorney is personal and should not be taken lightly.  When you seek an attorney to handle your legal matter, you are placing your confidence and trust with that attorney.  When the attorney agrees to represent a client, he/she is bound by that trust to maintain full confidentiality, meaning he/she cannot share or disclose anything the client tells the attorney.  By the same token, the attorney expects the client to be honest to allow a course of action  in the best interest of the client, as unknown surprises could derail the ability to provide the client with the best possible defense and outcome.