jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Would you pull your child out of school for "fun activities"?

1. MyGirlThursday profile image80
    MyGirlThursdayposted 5 years ago

Would you pull your child out of school for "fun activities"?

Kids are given 3-4 long breaks during the school year, and yet some parents pull their kids out of school when it is in session for movies, vacations, meals, and more. Teachers feel that this is cheating the child of a full education and promotes the idea that school isn't important. Would YOU pull your child out of school for a non-emergency?

2. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

I really don't do that no, unless it's something very special or significant.  For example over spring break we were supposed to go to the zoo and weren't able to because a death in the family.  We spent his break dealing with a sad event.  One day was particularly nice and we did call off school and go to the zoo.  It's less crowded on weekdays and we both just wanted a break and to hang out together without crowds etc.

He needed the mental break and he gets straight A's and so one day wasn't a big deal.  He realized it was a special treat and that school is important.   I think it all depends on the activities and why and if it's a regular thing.  I don't think kids should be pulled out of school to go to the movies or out for dinner etc.  Wait for the weekend.  If it's a "mental health" day once a year or something that will truly help them feel refreshed - it may be better for their learning to have the break for a day.

3. TheLifeExperiment profile image60
    TheLifeExperimentposted 5 years ago

Well, I don't have a child and am not planning on having one, but personally I think it depends. If the child has an important day at school and you pull him/her out to get a burger or something, that isn't good. But spending time with your kid is important- so if he/she didn't have anything important going on in school, and you wanted to pull them out to go on a hike, take a day trip, have a picnic- why not. As long as its not happening, say, every week smile

4. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

Never!   Education is the most paramount activity in a child's life.    To pull a child out of school for fun activities is asinine at its worst and a form of child abuse at its best.   Children need to be in school for as long and as much as possible.

Any activity to me which is not constructively educational is a total waste of time and a total nonissue.    Fun activities?   What fun activities, these activities are stupid and a total waste of time.   Children need to bury their heads in their books.   Fun activities are not going to help a child get anywhere careerwise.   Children must be taught the education ethic.   There is too much emphasis placed on social activities and not enough on education!

My father raised me to eat, sleep, and breathe education.   He would frown upon such a premise.    He always stated to me that social life is often superfluous at best and that time should be spent educating oneself!  He further added that the most important thing in life is achievement, achievement, achievement!

Closed to reply

working