jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Would it be better to pull a lengthy short story and republish it in parts?

1. wayne barrett profile image74
    wayne barrettposted 4 years ago

Would it be better to pull a lengthy short story and republish it in parts?

When fairly new to Hubpages, I posted a couple of very lengthy short stories, one of which was over 5k words. I was wondering if I should pull the stories and re post them in shorter parts to make them easier to read, but I am not sure if that would be a wise move or not. Any thoughts?

2. PHILLYDREAMER profile image81
    PHILLYDREAMERposted 4 years ago

I wouldn't advise it.  Once you post content its never a good to re-post.  In the future it might be better to break it up if the word content takes you over 700 words.  Honestly 400 words is my mental limit before I stop absorbing what I'm reading.

wayne barrettposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It could be worse than 400; you could be a poet with A.D.D.  'Roses are red, Violets are...ooh, look, a quarter!' Lol

3. Marlin 55 profile image75
    Marlin 55posted 4 years ago

My personal opinion would be to keep the entire short story intact. If you should ever choose to break it then make the break point ending with a hook so the reader will want to continue reading

Thanks marlin.

4. Twilight Lawns profile image83
    Twilight Lawnsposted 4 years ago

Break it into small brain-sized chunks...
    Or should I have said,
    "Break it into small-brain sized chunks."

Serialise it and have a cliff-hanger if you can,

Without being unkind, the average hubber has the attention span of a fairly well educated goldfish, and you will lose his or her attention if your word count exceeds 1,000.

1. PHILLYDREAMER profile image81
      PHILLYDREAMERposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I want to disagree, but I can't LOL.

2. Twilight Lawns profile image83
      Twilight Lawnsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

'm getting towards the end of a story, which, so far, has five (5) chapters, but apart from some good friends, no one is reading it.
      Maximum is four (4) Ha Ha.  But as those readers are extremely capable writers themselves, I am still a happy man.

3. wayne barrett profile image74

I know what you mean Twilight. If a reader is into shorts, like I am, you really don't have a problem with the length. I have just noticed a lot of writers publish theirs in parts and was wondering if it would hurt me on HP if I did the same?

4. Twilight Lawns profile image83
      Twilight Lawnsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Great to be noticed.  Thank you.  I do (as they say) my best.

5. Beata Stasak profile image83
    Beata Stasakposted 4 years ago

I think so, people have no time in this fast speeding and fast living age, short story seems to do much better, break it up and each part finish with some question or thrilling part to follow in to attract readers to come back:)

working