jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)

What made Ronald Reagan So Great?

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image97
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago

What made Ronald Reagan So Great?

A lot of persons think of Ronald Reagan as one of the best of the US Presidents, if you believe that is true, why do you think it is true?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6533309_f260.jpg

2. davenmidtown profile image88
    davenmidtownposted 5 years ago

His wife Nancy! and some really good script writers....

Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Dave I published a hub about Ronnie Ray Gun today...you know, Nancy was super hot at one point!

2. davenmidtown profile image88
      davenmidtownposted 5 years agoin reply to this

yes ... well you did not specify in your question the cumulative results inquiry... so I thought it was just a general question...

3. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Great at what?  He was a useless politician and a ham actor, he and the cow Thatcher were wrapped around each other's llittle fingers.

Mick S - that is about how I feel about all US politicians....very few exceptions!

2. MickS profile image71
      MickSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That's how I think about ALL politicians, they are all self serving control freaks,  grasping on to any power they can lie their way into.

4. EuroCafeAuLait profile image85
    EuroCafeAuLaitposted 5 years ago

He was a dyed in the wool American legend, from his good looks to his career on the silver screen.  Hard to not like the guy.  Not unlike his acting career, he knew how to make a great and dignified presentation both nationally and internationally.  We Americans love to look up to a "hero" and he sure fit the bill.

Thanks for that - I can't agree with anything there at all.  I do think that it is just a human condition though - to want something strong and powerful to look up to.

5. justom profile image70
    justomposted 5 years ago

Well there was Iran Contra, busting the air traffic controllers union and forcing mentally ill persons out on the street and uh...uh....uh....uh well he did forget a lot of stuff. Then there was his wonderful wife telling everyone to "Just say no" while eating valium like candy. His buddy Ollie North is coming to town next week, I'll tell him you said hello....right after I bitch slap him. On a more positive note I did sell a couple hundred t-shirts and made some $. "if Ollie knew Ronnie did too" :-P

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TOMILOVEYOUBUTI'MGOINGTOBED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

6. Sherry Hewins profile image97
    Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years ago

I kind of enjoyed his habit of napping during meetings. I didn't vote for him, but I was truly shocked when he was shot.

7. alancaster149 profile image86
    alancaster149posted 5 years ago

I don't know as he was all that great. He nearly got us all into deep water with the Russkies, stoney-faced Brezhnev coming to mind. One thing I do remember about him, travelling to ireland and claiming descent from Brian Boru, the Gaelic king who ousted the Dublin Danes from Ireland at Clontarf in AD1014. It might figure, as Brian Boru refused to do any of the fighting himself on the Good Friday. He still found himself on the receiving end of a Danish sword-blade.
    Few presidents have needed a speechmaker to get through the day, George 'Dubya' Bush being the closest competitor. Neither of them knew their way outside the States.

I believe Ronnie Ray Gun's grandmother was an Irish immigrant to the US.

Yep - US Politicians typically know little about the rest of the world....

8. JamesGrantSmith profile image58
    JamesGrantSmithposted 4 years ago

He is known for the Iran-Contra. If that's what you see as great then so be it.............

working