Have anybody ever tried drinking coke and swallowing a mentos immediately after?

1. wandererh profile image75
    wandererhposted 5 years ago

Have anybody ever tried drinking coke and swallowing a mentos immediately after?

We have all seen the reaction when you drop a mentos into a bottle of coke.  Apparently the reaction is due to the high surface area of the mentos leading to a large amount of carbon dioxide released in a very short amount of time.  Does that mean that you should never drink coke, and probably any carbonated drink, and take a mentos at the same time, or would the saliva in your mouth and the acid in your stomach nullify this effect?

2. Bedbugabscond profile image99
    Bedbugabscondposted 5 years ago

I did the Coke/Mentos experiment with my kids. We put the Mentos in the Coke bottles. Of course kids will be kids, and one thing led to another. They too wondered what would happen if they drank coke with a Mentos in your mouth. So they tried it. Very little of the coke got in to their stomachs because as soon as the Coke hit the Mentos (in their mouths) it foamed up which lead to the gag reflex. That of coarse lead to it being spit out, but not before foaming all over and getting all over their cloths. Afterwords the kids did seem gassy. I think that the stomach acids nulify most of the Mentos; however it seemed like there was enough of a reaction inside of the body to make them all pass gas.

working