jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

English lands in France

1. eaglecreek profile image61
    eaglecreekposted 5 years ago

English lands in France

When the house of Plantagenet claimed the throne to England it created quite a large empire. The lands in France included, but not limited to: Normandy, Brittany, Anjou, Aquitaine and Toulouse.  These lands in France were held by the English kings as fiefs and under the authority of England, but they were not considered part of England.

Why were these lands not considered part England?

2. cprice75 profile image91
    cprice75posted 5 years ago

They were probably considered as more of a colony.  They were definitely not England, much in the way that Ireland or Scotland have never been considered part of England.  I must confess that this era of English/British history is not my strong suit, but I have some hubs on the Tudor/Stuart era.

1. eaglecreek profile image61
      eaglecreekposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If England and France were both in a war at same time who would they support?

2. eaglecreek profile image61
      eaglecreekposted 5 years agoin reply to this

i'm such a dummy,i was replying and clicked delete. im going to post your comment again in quotes

3. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 5 years ago

I'm not sure, the only vestiges that remain, I think, are the Channel Islands, they are not considerd part of England or the UK.  The Monarch lost the last French title as the Duke of Normandy in about the 1700s I believe.
    I think the idea of the estates being considered a sort of colony is about right.

1. MickS profile image70
      MickSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The British monarch still holds the title of the duke of Normandy though the Channel Islands.  The monarchy gave up the claim to the French throne in 1801.

4. ata1515 profile image95
    ata1515posted 5 years ago

Henry II built an empire out of duchies and counties, and became king of England to top it off. This hub started as a reply to a question about the Angevin Empire, but grew long enough for it's own hub. read more

working