jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

How can hydrochloric acid be made stronger

1. profile image48
    herbibiv1posted 5 years ago

How can hydrochloric acid be made stronger

2. Btryon86 profile image88
    Btryon86posted 5 years ago

It can't. The only way to strengthen an acid is to combine it with a stronger acid, which would change the chemical makeup of said acid. This means it would no longer be hydrochloric acid. HCl is already a strong acid anyway.

3. Larry Fields profile image79
    Larry Fieldsposted 5 years ago

Concentrated hydrochloric acid cannot dissolve gold, but when mixed in the correct proportion of concentrated nitric acid, the mixture can dissolve this precious metal. For this reason, the acid mixture is known as Aqua Regia.

However Btrion86 is mostly correct. Mixing two concentrated solutions of strong acids does not result in a mixture that's stronger, as an acid, than either of the two initial solutions.

Essentially, the strength of an acid reflects the extent to which it dissociates into H+ ions and the negatively charged counter ion. HCl and HNO3 are both strong acids. For all intents and purposes, they dissociate completely when dissolved in water.

1. Btryon86 profile image88
      Btryon86posted 5 years agoin reply to this

You are absolutely correct. I worded my answer incorrectly, I did not mean to imply that the acid itself would strengthen, only that the combined solution could have a lower (meaning stronger) dissociation constant than the original HCl solution.