jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Would you ever consider hiring, or have you in the past, an architech to design

1. Denise Handlon profile image90
    Denise Handlonposted 5 years ago

Would you ever consider hiring, or have you in the past, an architech to design your home for you?

Architechture in general, and home design-especially green homes, is something I have always been interested in.  I've never used an architech, however, I'm wondering what the benefits would be in doing so, to design a home.

2. Rashad Al profile image70
    Rashad Alposted 5 years ago

No, being an architect gives you the advantage of designing your own place,,,

Denise Handlonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Of course, it would.  Thank you for commenting...it's allowed me to connect with your writing.

3. CR Rookwood profile image83
    CR Rookwoodposted 5 years ago

I would. We have this weird staircase that's way too steep and thinking about how to fix it makes my head hurt. I'm not very mathematically inclined. It would be so great to have a better staircase to our upstairs loft. It's cool up there, but we use a smaller room downstairs for our bedroom because we don't want to break our necks heading for the bathroom in the middle of the night.

I like this house a lot, but the last owners did some odd things, probably BECAUSE they didn't want to hire an architect. In the long run, it isn't a savings to do that.

Sounds like it would be a cool investment, though, to get the room use by changing the staircase. (?)  Good luck with that.

4. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

I need an architect because my dream is to design my own house. But I can't draw it out.

I agree, Iburmaster...I have often thought of doing that myself.

5. anglnwu profile image91
    anglnwuposted 5 years ago

We're in the process of building a house and we did use an architect. There are advantages to this--you get to tell the architect what you want in your house, any details, including solar panel or any energy saving concerns you have. You get to specifiy and he will do as you want and sometimes, he will even suggest things you overlook. You get to brainstorm ideas with him and that will help to produce a house that you always wanted.

On the other hand, it can get expensive as they charge by the hours they put in. Sometimes, when you want to change certain things after he has drawn up the plan, he charges extra too.

I've heard of others who use already drawn plans from online sites. It's cheaper.

Thanks anginwu.  I appreciate your input.  I bet it is cheaper online but half the fun, haha.

working