Can food mould an entire population way of life?

1. lbramos profile image74
    lbramosposted 5 years ago

Can food mould an entire population way of life?

While eating today, a typical brazilian food (picanha with beans), I thought why are portuguese and brazilian's so different.. Why Fado is the Portuguese song agains Brazilian's samba... It crossed my mind then, that maybe food has something to do with it... could it be that the Brazilian food (with more fruits, more proteins) be one important factor to their mentality? To their way of life? This applies also to american fast food, could it be one of the factors of the unhappiness of this cultures? What do you think about this?

2. hazeleyedbeauty profile image77
    hazeleyedbeautyposted 5 years ago

I think it already has. Fast food had def changed Americans, its almost as if we rely upon fast food. our number of people, including children who are obese has risen for a reason...

3. RoxiM profile image60
    RoxiMposted 5 years ago

Great question! I think it's true that a culture's food says a lot about the culture itself, but I never considered whether the food can affect a society's mentality. I believe it has to. In the United States, we eat highly processed foods laced with toxic chemicals such as pesticides and herbicides. In cultures that value food and view meals as central to family and community life, the mentality about many other aspects of life is different as well.