jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

Do you feel indignant or enraged when you see ''gifted'' students boasting?

1. phillippeengel profile image78
    phillippeengelposted 5 years ago

Do you feel indignant or enraged when you see ''gifted'' students boasting?

Do you think people must be ''gifted'' so that they can succeed in life? What happens to those who are not ''gifted'' but mediocre?

2. Diane Woodson profile image59
    Diane Woodsonposted 5 years ago

I think yes, since other cildren who are not will be affected by it. I as a teacher, I did not like boasting by any students, but that of higher abilities than others I think should be discouraged firmly but gently.

3. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 5 years ago

I'm betwixt and between. Reading it I contrasted with the student athlete. Then I thought of a pianist. Finally I pondered the artist explaining their work. I know what you mean, yet I wonder if it is just the setting that conjures a difference.

4. teyeger82 profile image77
    teyeger82posted 5 years ago

I don't feel indignant or enraged. I prefer to think of it as a lack of maturity when it comes to students or young people. What does irritate me though are adults who feel the need to do so about their jobs, their families, their possessions, etc. The bottom line is that we all put our pants on the same way, one leg at a time. It really is not necessary to broadcast it or put in on a social media site. I tend to take more positive notice of people for their achievements when they go quietly about their lives without making a big to do over things.

5. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

My son is gifted and I encourage him to brag in the comfort of his home and not in public. The problem with this is an 8 year old no matter how gifted does not understand how to "act" average. So simply talking could hurt an average person's feelings. I hope with age and my help he learns to understand that while he should be proud he does not need to boast. No matter how gifted a person is we all have faults. As for us average people, we are just as good but in different ways. Many great people have been "mediocre". When it comes down to it though, we all brag about something in life. I brag about my children all the time, I'm a proud mommy! Others boast about their career, cars, religion, homes, college they attended, and so on. It's human nature to express things that make you feel good.

phillippeengelposted 5 years agoin reply to this

''It's human nature to express things that make you feel good.'' That is true. As long as people do not go overboard, bragging can be accepted.

6. profile image74
    ElleBeeposted 5 years ago

I think it all depends on the situation and teh amount of tact used.  As well as the age/maturity of the child. As peeples said below, some gifted children simply don't know how to act average and don't realize they're bragging.  One thing that has gotten me frustrated is when I talk to people who've gone to lager/wealthier schools than I and so they feel like they are "more gifted" simply because their school had a gifted program for them to attend int he first place! Some schools don't have the resources to provide a gifted program, but it doesn't mean there aren't gifted students in that school.

7. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 5 years ago

Perhaps I'm lucky or deaf, but the gifted people I have seen and know don't boast. I don't believe people must be gifted to succeed in life, I can tell you many true stories of mediocre people that have been very successful and/or become rich by doing what the next gal or guy wouldn't. Being mediocre at anything is not a death sentence, choosing to remain so is.

phillippeengelposted 5 years agoin reply to this

''Being mediocre at anything is not a death sentence, choosing to remain so is.'' I totally agree with you.

8. profile image0
    screamingposted 5 years ago

Boasting just means they feel inadequate about themselves. Everyone is gifted in their own special way and have a special purpose in life to fulfill!

working