jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Would you take part in the Mars One settlement planned for 2023? Why or why not?

1. SantaCruz profile image71
    SantaCruzposted 5 years ago

Would you take part in the Mars One settlement planned for 2023? Why or why not?

The Mars colonization project is led by a prominent Dutch scientist and is an entirely private enterprise -- or so they say ;-). Pioneers are expected to move to Mars for the rest of their lives.

See the four-minute project promo video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QoEEGySGm4

Image from http://www.geekosystem.com/wp-content/u … s-one.jpg.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6734734_f260.jpg

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

No, I am would be too old to adapt to the harsh conditions.  Space travel alone would take 2 years to even get there.  So I will have to pass and stay cozy in my house in Montana.

SantaCruzposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Does it sweeten the deal to know it's merely six to eight months travel time -- not two years? You could play Ping Pong on the ship.

3. profile image52
    Woodchipposted 5 years ago

No. I would miss animals, especially my pets.

No problem, Woodchip! According to Steve Martin, Mars already has plenty of kittens. You can hear him talk about it on YouTube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XHcSGLXpCc. These kittens do not age or die.

2. profile image52
      Woodchipposted 5 years agoin reply to this

How about the birds and the bees? wink

3. SantaCruz profile image71

Birds and bees might adapt. At first though it'll just be indoor areas on Mars that have wildlife, unless wildlife is already present.

You can have an advanced aviary in your dome, but it's really not the same... I'm with you, Woodchip!

4. Grim Master profile image60
    Grim Masterposted 5 years ago

I don't want to leave earth. Really. Never.
    Why? Because I love it here. Too much beauty to fill my head vs a giant desert with rocks and hills.
    Although zero gravity would be pretty cool.

5. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

I would not.  That sounds like the biggest "horror show" in the world to me.  Astronauts who have described seeing Earth from space have said how seeing the blue and green planet is so beautiful and incredibly moving to them.  Maybe I'm just a creature of habit, but I love the aspects of Nature that we have here on Earth.  Earth is where I want to stay.

Well put, Lisa! Having the ability to colonize Mars might feel empowering, but NEEDING to would be terrifying (no terra pun intended). I hope that in some ironic way the Mars publicity makes us appreciate Earth all the more.

working