jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Why sometimes it's so hard to begin your studying at home?

1. edekeful profile image81
    edekefulposted 5 years ago

Why sometimes it's so hard to begin your studying at home?

Because we are used to excitement and our brain indicates, that this activity isn't so exciting compared to other things? Or something else?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6737568_f260.jpg

2. Jewels profile image84
    Jewelsposted 5 years ago

I'm hitting that wall of not wanting to study as I feel I'd rather be doing something else more exciting.  I have no way around it but to push through it.  But I still don't want to do the course I've signed up for.  I have to stay focused on why I began it in the first place.  I am a mature age student; my school days were the worst days of my life so this is part of the resistance.  It brings up the space of learning I had to endure. I hated it.  It hasn't changed much so I see!  And doing an online course - geez, you have to be really motivated and love study.  I'm aspiring for a miracle to continue!

3. Bedbugabscond profile image98
    Bedbugabscondposted 5 years ago

It could be e number of things. Environment is an important factor in the learning process. Studying, or taking classes, in the same environment  increases comprehension and retention. At school, the environment is built around learning. At home there are so many distractions. At school, it is focused, yet at home there are so many choices. While everyone has different choices and environments, they are all distracting. When studying at home, a person should make a routine, and a space dedicated to studying. This can help.

4. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 5 years ago

It is the surrounding environment that affects your mood in studying.

Some people prefer to study with music in the background while others want it to be silent. It is somehow dependent on your own preference.

You have to have the interests in studying otherwise it will be difficult no matter where you are. You can make studying easier by using different methods that interests you. You can create your own style of studying. As long as you create your own interests, you can virtually study at any place.

5. wandererh profile image74
    wandererhposted 5 years ago

I think you pretty much answered your own question.  Might I add that it is also much harder than watching tv, chatting with your friends and listening to your favorite band.  And besides, you have got much more important things to do, like updating your Facebook status, cleaning your room ('cause you are going to get grounded if you don't) and figuring out what to get your girlfriend for her birthday.

6. Melissa A Smith profile image98
    Melissa A Smithposted 5 years ago

For me I'm too relaxed at home. I don't feel the pressure when I'm relaxed and there is still time to start, until it's too late and there isn't time.

7. profile image56
    homeprivatetutorposted 5 years ago

Distraction is the problem. There is always things which are more interesting that you can do compared to studying. Keep your study area free from other distraction and you can study for very long time without getting distracted.

8. Tracy K. profile image68
    Tracy K.posted 5 years ago

I know that my learning style is very "hands-on" and interactive. I don't believe that I'm disciplined enough to learn from home independently. I prefer to be in a classroom setting where I can engage with others. It's much more stimulating for retention.

9. Thomas Swan profile image96
    Thomas Swanposted 5 years ago

When you leave the house for whatever reason, your mind becomes directed towards task completion. For example, you may feel anxious about going out and doing something, but when you leave the house to do it, the anxiety goes away. It's the same for performers: once they are on stage the auto-pilot kicks in. Likewise, when you go to work, school or the library, you go there to complete a task, and your mind directs you towards doing it. When you are home, this mind-set may not exist for the kind of work you want to do there. With appropriate practice, you should be able to train yourself to see home as a place of work.

working