Why we say "my heart is on it" when we know that heart cannot think or do choice

1. ahmed.b profile image78
    ahmed.bposted 5 years ago

Why we say "my heart is on it" when we know that heart cannot think or do choices?

Medically we know that thinking, wishing, love or hate are something done by brain. Heart is there in body for proper pumping of blood only. They why we say sentences like "My heart is longing for it", "thanks from core of my heart","My heart decided" etc. But we know that heart cannot want or decide anything it is just brain or mind.

2. DreamerMeg profile image90
    DreamerMegposted 5 years ago

In English, the phrase is "I had my heart set on it". It's not quite right to say that thinking, wishing, etc are done solely by the brain. We are "feeling" creatures too. A lot of the emotions are managed by the release of hormones, which alter our bodies (all of our body, not just the brain) in different ways. So maybe "heart" is another word for "hormones"? When you REALLY want something, you MUST get your emotions involved and get yourself PASSIONATE about what it is you want. This is especially true if it is something difficult, like stopping smoking, losing weight, gaining additional educational qualifications, writing a great novel, becoming the best parent possible to your child, etc. In all of these, if you do not have your heart and emotions involved, you will not achieve them. The brain alone saying "I must lose weight", etc, will not do it. Put your heart into it and it's a lot easier.

working