jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Should a teacher's pay be related to their students scores on standardized tests

1. fitmom profile image84
    fitmomposted 5 years ago

Should a teacher's pay be related to their students scores on standardized tests?

Many states have gone to merit based pay for teachers whereby they pay teachers based on how their students perform on standardized tests. The thought behind it is to motivate teachers to help their students to perform well on the tests.

There are many implications that should be considered. Schools in poor districts that historically have low test scores would not attract quality teachers. Students with disabilities who struggle on tests would determine their teachers pay or lack thereof.

What are your thoughts?

2. rlaha profile image71
    rlahaposted 5 years ago

No. I think that a teacher's pay should be fair. The teachers should start off at a set salary and move up on the pay scale as they continue to serve a particular school or school district.  I don't think it is fair.

3. DreamyJadedChick profile image61
    DreamyJadedChickposted 5 years ago

No it's not fair to have a merit based system. Not all students will do well on standardized tests no matter how wonderful a teacher is.

1. fitmom profile image84
      fitmomposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree!

working