jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Teachers, how do you plan to spend your summer?

1. donnah75 profile image96
    donnah75posted 5 years ago

Teachers, how do you plan to spend your summer?

I will be teaching summer school and curriculum mapping.  I am just wondering what percentage of teachers actually do take the summer off.

2. fjpteach profile image60
    fjpteachposted 5 years ago

I am attempting to take the summer off, but I must admit that I started getting bored one week into my vacation! I am so used to being super busy between teaching and grad school that having all of this free time has been kind of lost on me.  I am learning how to enjoy being lazy again, although now I have picked up writing hubs.  I plan on decorating my new town house, painting, writing some poetry, catching up on movies, and trying to lose some weight. Mixed in there I will definitely be working on plans for my classroom for next year. I really get into decorating my room and working out the kinks in my schedule from last year.  Overall, I am trying to enjoy being off, but I do sometimes miss having something to do.

3. kthix10 profile image81
    kthix10posted 5 years ago

between jobs, so trying to find one and living at the pool

4. KrystalD profile image80
    KrystalDposted 5 years ago

I will be taking a 4 day cruise, working with a small groups at a creative camp, writing for hubpages and taking a professional development workshop with my coworkers in August. Sounds busy? Yes, but I guess I like it like that.

5. Paul Kuehn profile image95
    Paul Kuehnposted 5 years ago

I've already had my summer vacation in Thailand.  The local school year runs from the 3rd week in May until the first week in March.  For tthe first month in March I was teaching a summer course.  During April and May I spent a lot of time in Northeastern Thailand.

6. dmhenderson profile image60
    dmhendersonposted 5 years ago

For me, it's not really a matter of taking the summer off. Since I am an adjunct, I am last in line when it comes to summer classes. As often as not there is nothing left over. So I look for work (unsuccessfully this summer, thanks to the depression), and if I can't find it I try to budget creatively enough not to end up on the street before the middle of August.

The up side to all this is that I usually have time to do a great deal of writing and reading during the summer. Perhaps 90% of my writing is done during the summer, and often I can work my way through most of my stack of books-to-be-read that accumulates during the semester. Long stretches of uninterrupted time abound. Sweet!

1. donnah75 profile image96
      donnah75posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I hear you on the sparse summer budget.  I also have been organizing the stack of books.  Hopefully I will have long stretches to read too.  Enjoy!