What is motivated forgetting?

1. ngureco profile image83
    ngurecoposted 5 years ago

What is motivated forgetting?

2. RyanBuda profile image92
    RyanBudaposted 5 years ago

Admittedly, I don't fully understand your question. I have never heard of motivated forgetting

I have, however, heard about Freud and his defense mechanisms. Repression, perhaps? Repression is an unconscious action that keeps anxiety provoking memories out of consciousness to make someone feel better. Or better yet Suppression, which is a conscious act to keep negative thoughts out of your mind.  Either of these could be described as motivated forgetting.

3. Flavie Lolol profile image77
    Flavie Lololposted 5 years ago

Motivated forgetting is a situation where people do not want to accept the blame for an event they were part of if the results of the event are negative.

For example: You may be writing for a certain site and if its successful you will keep on telling your associates that you write for the site and its very successful because of the hard work you are doing there. If on the other hand, the site is a failure, you will not want to accept the blame the site has failed because of your writing there but you may want to blame it on the management of the site. This would imply that it’s unfortunate you were caught up in a situation that was unforeseeable and there is no way you can be the culprit – there is no much you could have done about it. This really is a good example of retroactive pessimism.

working