jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

What is the difference between innate and learned behaviour in human infants? Di

1. cloudy_cool profile image78
    cloudy_coolposted 5 years ago

What is the difference between innate and learned behaviour in human infants? Discuss

Please feel free to refer any hub or article on this subject I've recently started to explore. Thanks!

2. Dr Billy Kidd profile image93
    Dr Billy Kiddposted 5 years ago

Innate behavior is to cry when uncomfortable and to suckle. It is to look for and identity human faces. It is to look at the eyes.

Learned behavior includes knowing it's mothers voice before it is born--and being able to recognize the theme song of mom's favorite TV show.

You left out developmental behavior. Big sessors on the pregnant mother program the child to be more irritable. It  pushes the reset button on the child's biological markers to be ready to handle stress, not love, when it is born.

1. cloudy_cool profile image78
      cloudy_coolposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Wow, I didn't know about the scissors...so does it mean that cesarean babies are biologically more ready to handle stress? But C-Sectioned babies usually escape the 'strain' of going through the birth canal, so isn't that already taken care of?

2. Dr Billy Kidd profile image93
      Dr Billy Kiddposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This issue is chronic stress produces stress hormones. They go through the placenta and circulate in the baby. So the baby's neuro-biological set points match the mothers--ready to handle getting yelled at, being constantly upset, being over-worked.

3. cloudy_cool profile image78
      cloudy_coolposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Interesting! So this also means that even though a child who is born with possibly developed stress hormones, it is more challenging for the parent to understand him when he's feeling low might be affected due to his ability 2 handle rough times.

3. cloudy_cool profile image78
    cloudy_coolposted 5 years ago

Well I have noticed major differences between my two daughters. Both innate and learned. Following up on Dr Billy Kidd's answer, I am drawn to another fact that I might have been missing about my eldest child, who is a C-Sec baby (well, both are, but the first went through a rougher time during birth), and displays so much patience that I often overlook the fact that she may be under stress or might be emotional. Hence, when she's really low, her outbursts takes me aback because I dont 'expect' her to have so much stress in the first place. It is surprising where it all starts!! Thanks Dr Billy Kidd for indirectly inspiring me to look more closely into my daughter's need for external stress relief - love.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image80
    Kathryn L Hillposted 5 years ago

Innate behavior affects learned behavior. The two behaviors are related and dependent upon each other.  Why do you ask?.

5. tamarawilhite profile image90
    tamarawilhiteposted 23 months ago

Innate behavior - no one had to teach them and it is instinctive. How to nurse for babies, instinctive grasping motion to grab a parent's fur (really old instinct), turning head on contact, attraction to faces, babbled and practicing sounds to learn language.
    Learned behavior - what someone had to show them or teach them, from toilet training to specific languages

working